Terra Cotta Lighthouse

This terracotta lighthouse is just 2 large plant pots cemented together and painted, with a lantern on top.

By patanthar

Top Comment

I love lighthouses, made this large black and white one for me, with the solar light on top. I've made a few smaller ones, that I will try selling at my craft shows. I just need to learn how to paint straighter especially when it comes to the windows and such. So easy to make.

Top Comment

Finally finished. I used the top of an old lighthouse I had.

Anonymous

Beautiful

You did a great job. It looks very neat and perfect. The pots fits togethr well like it's all one piece.

Since I favor all things "beach" related, I love this! I just hope that the one I will make doesn't "grow legs" when I place it outside. Thank you!

That's what I'm ahead of.

Love it! :)

Anonymous

Very cool with perfect paint job!

I will definitely do this, the pots were the ceramic ones right, and where did you get the lantern?

Anonymous

Patanthar, your lighthouse looks awesome in the snow! Is that a hat placed on it?

I thought it was really three pots and that is what the diagram shows, three pots, not two. Also, I have gotten lanterns at Lakeside and some on special on the internet deals. Love lighthouses!

The glowstick in a jar is a great idea and I have just reposted a great idea on making your own glow stick solution.

1/4 c MT. Dew (a bit left in the bottle perhaps)
a pinch of baking soda
3 capfuls of peroxide.

Put cap on and shake - voila, instant glow light. And the shape of the pop bottle would look good on the top of the lighthouse, I'd think.

Now, I wonder if you freeze it (like you can glow sticks), it'd preserve it for the next night. Hmmm, I wonder if one couldn't make ahead, portion it in ice cube trays or little jars and refrigerate or freeze. Anyone know? Can't cost anything to try, anyway! Two projects connected!

Some have 3 or 4 pots. Just whatever you like.

I just love this lighthouse. Making one for a yard decoration with a light on top and the other as a birdbath. This web site is a great place and I will be learning a lot of new things for my yard and house. Thank You

I want to make the lighthouse but I'm not sure on how to make the windows and door.

The windows and door is painted with different colors.

Are stencils used? I'm new at doing something like this and want to make it look good. Any suggestions?

Putting a lantern on top that could hold a tealight or votive would be AWESOME! I think I will do mine in red, white, and blue for when hubby comes back from deployment.

You can just buy a solar yard light and stick it in a hole on the top of the pot... might have to cut a hole in the pot first. Would be simple and just have to change the batteries in the light, which would automatically come on at night... cheaper than running an electric light.

Found the solar lantern at the Christmas Shop but I'm sure they can be found about anywhere. Will be planting Lithadora tiny blue flowers and then will replace with Bacopa.

You can also use plastic pots for this lighthouse, works great, and they are cheaper then terra cotta pots.

@angelmaddy8123: I think your lighthouse is beautiful! As far as learning to "paint straighter" ...just the way it is gives it charm and character. It is handmade and unique... NOT machine-made perfect. Keep up your lovely, lovely work!

Can you please tell me what kind of glue you used for this lighthouse? Your lighthouse is beautiful - I'm totally inspired and want to try this for myself & gifts for others. I love lighthouses.

Here is the lighthouse I made for my daughter. I had a lot of fun doing it. I used a solar light for the top.

I would like some help determining what the graduated sizes of the pots should be so as not to nest in one another.

I see a lot of people are asking how to make windows in the lighthouse straight. Painters tape comes in different widths, cut out squares and tape it to the pot where you want windows and paint over the holes from outside in :> [_] <.

What size of pots did you use?

I found something for painting the windows. Paint sample cards at Lowes. Valspar has squares punched out in their cards. I think they will make perfect stencils. :)

I have looked everywhere for the top of the lighthouse in the picture. Does anyone know where to find it?

At IKEA for $3.99; comes in silver, black or white (this is the lantern on top of the red and white lighthouse). I am putting a flameless candle purchased at Michaels, in the one I am making for my sister and it fits perfect in the hole inside the lantern. She won't be able to put hers outside because she lives in a trailer park, & things seem to have legs when she puts decor outside. Sad but it happens.

Ikea

That is awesome! Great work!

melmick, can you tell me more details about your flag lighthouse? My sister-in-law wants me to make it your their garage. It's call Freedom Auto and their logo is a flag and eagle. What size pots, and how you did the stars etc? Thanks

All I seen was a pic. Where is the how to video? I mean it's not like I can't get the idea from the pic, I just did't see a video.....

So where is the how to part of this? Every link I clicked on took me to another picture and no instructions. It's obviously not hard to make but the materials list and everything is no where to be found.

This is simple. You take two very large terra cotta planters, or as many planters as you want, just one size smaller then the next. Turn upside down and put larger one on bottom and cement the next smaller one on top of larger one, top side down, until the size you want it. You let cement dry and then paint them how you want and after paints dry you can use a weather sealant to protect it. Then add a small light house on top and cement in place or use some kind of fasteners to hold in place.

I want to make one of these but need sugestions on what size light to use.

It really depends on what size pots you use, as you are going to turn them over and stack them. And if you want to use solar or a votive or flameless candle. IKEA has lanterns for $3.99 in black, white or silver, and I put a flameless candle from Michaels in it, works great. If you want to use solar, Home Depot has them; Ace Hardware, Lowe's. Just depends what type of look you want. Good luck and have fun!

To make this more light weight, use plastic flower pots.

I am making one of these for my mom and I'm using a design more like the second picture. However, I cannot find a lantern to put on top if my life depended on it. Could someone point me in the right direction!?

If you want a lantern like the very first picture (aqua lantern) you can find those at Pier One Imports. Or you can go to IKEA, and they have lanterns in black, silver or white for $3.99, and you can either put a votive or a flameless candle in it, which I did for my sister's lighthouse; fits perfectly, and you can get those at Michaels. Also Ace Hardware has different types of small lanterns. It depends on what you like. Good luck and have fun making it. I'm sure your mom will love it!

I made this one out of plastic pots, the desert sand and wind seem to take its toll on clay pots!

That is just amazing, thank you for sharing.

1. Your desired size of your lighthouse will determine the size of pots. Go to local dealer and take the ones you think will work, upend them and then stack them to see if it what you like. I will probably use a saucer at the base to help stabilize mine as I live on the edge of a canal.

2. Go to local store and look at craft paint that is good for the outdoors. Tape off the section you want for a window. Freehand vertical and horizontal "bars" for the window

3. Same store may have lanterns you can use but it would be good if it had a timer on it if you plan to actually have light. I am using a solar lantern I have that I got from a shopping channel

I will use Gorilla glue or silicone caulk to secure the pots together as I live in a windy area. Always check the directions for usage. Hope this helps.

What type of paint are you using? Do you have to prime? What type of sealant?

What did you use for the "railing" at the top of the lighthouse?

There was another terra cotta planter with the bottom 16" bottom painted blue the next pot was red with a white window with black trim can you repost this please I have the items but cannot remember how to paint or set it up Thanks

I looked around and could only find this example and one other one that is red and white. None of the photos looked like you described. Maybe you saw it on another site?

Be sure to share a picture of your lighthouse when you get it finished. It sounds great!