Graduation Party Ideas

Category Graduation
Whatever the milestone, it is fun to plan the perfect party for your graduate. This page is about graduation party ideas.

A graduation party we attended had the cutest idea for decorating. The graduate was very athletic and had t-shirts from many activities she was involved in. Her t-shirts were hung on the fence like a clothes line in many sizes as she grew up. Lots of memories!

By Jeanne from Ohio

Do you have a child graduating in 2006? A clever money-saving party tip is to buy leftover New Year's decorations. I've seen New Year's eyeglasses (2006-eye holes in the 0's), year confetti, cups & napkins. As long as it only has the year printed it would work for a graduation party, too. Plus, they will be really cheap come January 2nd and your grad won't know the difference.

By Cheryl from Missouri from Peculiar, Missouri

After what will be five years of graduate school, I will finally earn my Master of Library Science degree next spring. I would like to host a graduation party to celebrate this achievement. I would like to tie in the idea of libraries and books as the main theme of the party. Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this in a fun, inexpensive way?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Blue

Answers

I'd make the cake a big book.

By jean (Guest Post)

Stacks of books for centerpieces with vase of flowers/flower petals scattered around.Or scatter cards from a deck of Authors cards instead of flower petals. Invitations that look like library cards or overdue notices. Pictures of famous writers on the walls. Book bags as favors.

The dollar store has rose petals in the bridal area.

The book bags could be plain gift bags from the dollar store that you decorate. I assume you have lots of books, but if you don't want to use "good" books, get some from Freecycle or a thrift shop. Google "free printable invitations " to find templates to use. This is what I did back in the 80's when my husband got his MLS degree at the age of 45.
Congratulations on your achievement.

Here's a fun idea, it's an ice breaker if you have people that don't know each other. Take sticky name tags (the ones like Hi my name is...) and write a name of a book on each one (one for each person) as guests arrive stick one on their back, as the party progresses people ask questions about the name of the book that is on their back.

For an activity, have a table where guests can make their own books...makingbooks.com is one site (simple books geared toward children, but also towards adults for a quick activity), or check your public library for accordian books, etc. You have enough time to make samples, gather materials (check with old-time printers to see if they have leftover paper that they don't need, cardstock)and embellishments. Also, make bead and ribbon bookmarks. Print out quotes, snip into lines, and paste on paper or plastic glasses.

Enjoy.

By (Guest Post)

You can get an old librarian wooden file card holder or an old metal one. Clean it up really good and line it with tissue paper to match your decorations and leave some of the drawers unused, because the ones you use will have to stay open. Put different types of cookies or orderves in some of the drawers. Label the type of stuff in each drawer with the label on the front of the drawer. I know it would be difficult to use a full set of these card holders, but some of them come in small groups that stack...especially the metal ones.

you can paint it to match your stuff if you wish, or leave it the way it is for an antique look....

you can decorate with old books.
as a guest gift, have bookmarks made marking the occation, and for special people (such as those who have helped you through school like your parents or a special friend, teacher, or advisor) give them a book that reminds you of them or you think they would like with a letter inside thanking them.

You could also have a cake decorated in several ways with books on it.

Thank you all for the excellent ideas! I can't wait to use them for my party!

At my grocery store, they've got a machine that will print any picture on a sheet of rice paper. They put the rice paper onto a frosted cake, so the cake now holds the picture of whatever the original was. If your store does a similar service, give them your favorite book jacket and have them use that as the 'base', then add a line at the bottom with your name on it. Or have them cut out part of the picture (where the author's name goes) and put your name there in icing, so that the picture is there but the name is all you.

I will be graduating from college next year (I like to plan early). I am a non-traditional student and majoring in elementary education. I am trying to come up with ideas for my graduation party to help my husband. I don't like the normal grad party decorations from party supply stores.

I would like to maybe decorate with things I could use in my classroom later (why use decorations that will be thrown away?) I'm not sure what grade I will be teaching yet. I need help with ideas that are UNIQUE and not too cheesy! We may do a BBQ, but since it will be early May, that's not for sure.

K.H. from Missouri

Answers

By dduty (Guest Post)

Have a "Christmas in May" theme. Have your guests bring small classroom items to place on an artificial tree with lights etc. Your guests will want to bring you a gift anyway so why not make it practical things you can use in your classroom. You can never have too many post it notes.

By Amanda (Guest Post)

If you wrap crayons or pencils around the outside of a jar or cup, they look really cute, and the containers can be used to hold plastic utensils on your table. You could also tape rulers together to make a napkin holder or a corral for paper plates. Also, you can visit a teacher's supply store for lots of cute paper decorations that you could use on bulletin boards later. (I think Wal-Mart has a lot of stuff like that, too.) You might also think about getting the flannel-backed plastic tablecloths that you could use in your classroom for parties.

How do u feel about apples as a centerpiece? You could mix real and fake and make a pyramid. For fun, I'd add little flags with excuses students give to teachers. Make your own with wooden or bamboo skewers cut in half and extra sticky post-it note pages. If its sitdown, u could make place markers with real apples. Stick a large paperclip in the stem end of each apple and put a small card with person's name in the paper clip. I like the previous poster's idea of a tree, but I would do a fall tree(when teachers strart work). Use a naked branch and attach silk fall leaves. Hang the supplies you use the most on it ie chalk, small blackboards, mini chalk erasers(or make these big ones) magnetic letters and numbers, etc. I know that seem strange for May, but it fits the theme to my mind. I would also add some mini clothes pins so it can be a money /gift certificate tree instead of other gifts. Get some small plastic or paper cups and some short pencils(try dollar store)Glue the pencils on the cups points up and bottoms level with cup bottom. Add some silk flowers that sort of go with teaching eg. forget-me-nots and fun stuff like a blank excuse note form(where u check off the answers) Actually that last one could be enlarged and printed on paper placemats or napkins. if you look around you can find min apples made of cedar wood(put a few in a sheer cloth bag and add to the cups. These could be made for each guest as a take-home thing.

I'm loving some of these ideas. Especially the pencils around a cup, I've seen pictures of colored pencils done that way and it is really cute and cheerful. Keep the ideas coming. I really appreciate it.

How about making a bulletin board of yourself? I am a substitute teacher. Today the teacher herself was the student of the month. She had photos of herself along with a questionaire. She had it on the bulletin board where the students were once students of the month. Don't forget you will need books to fill your classroom. For a game maybe the adults would have to guess to figure out what book goes along with story line, or compete who can read the best story.

My brother-in-law and I are graduating from the same college this May and are combining our graduation parties into one. He is a business major and I am a psychology major. We are on a budget and looking for suggestions.

By Trisha from MO

My son is graduating. We are serving BBQ and I'm looking for decorating ideas.

By Pam from Atlanta, GA

We're having a open house for my daughter's graduation this June. She wants to have a Fairy theme for her party. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to decorate for the party? We'll be having it outside in our back yard. We'll be renting a tent for the party. We're having a taco bar for the food. Please help.

Betty from Flint, Michigan

Answers

Highschool grad?
NO Tinkerbell then......
Check out Amy Brown"s website. She is a artist that does "adult" type fairy art.
Perhaps you can import some pics to use on posters, invitations, etc.
I think of ribbon poles and something along the lines of Renissance period decor.
Nobody has ever said you HAVE to incorporate the food into the party theme, but Mexico uses a lot of red, orange, yellow, bright green and white.

By Kerry (Guest Post)

Small strands of white lights encased in any color Tulle or nylon net can be hung, canopy-like from the center of the tent outward and down the tent legs. Just cut strips of tulle and wrap the strand inside. Very pretty esp. at night.

Your daughter is my hero! My best friend and I are doing the same thing for our graduation! We thought we were the only people above ten who liked fairies! For our party we are going to cover everything in glitter and make food that has some form of fairy theme. We are also forcing everyone to dress up as a fairy or extreamly fancy. We are also using a book called "Are There Faeries at the Bottom of Your Garden?" by Betsy Williams. That's the reason we even came up with the idea for our party.

I have a graduation lunch to organise. Will the combination of the following colours be suitable: black, white, and silver?

By Nkefi R

I am giving my daughter a college graduation party and I need help. The party is June 4, so I only have 6 weeks to get it together. I have rented our local hall to have the party at and the invitations have been ordered. There will be any where between 100 to 200 guests.

I am checking into what the cost is for a live band and for a DJ. That is all I have so far. I want to give her a nice party, however I am not rich, so I have to spend wisely. Can you give me some decorating ideals and types of food to serve for a lot of people, that is easy to prepare. I would also appreciate any other ideas anyone has that would make this a fun and memorable party. Thanks Bunches!

By 1 proud mommy from Eureka, CA

My son is graduating from high school, so we're planning a graduation party. Does anyone have ideas for an easy, inexpensive punch that would be either black or gold colored?

By LeaAnn from Mitchell, SD

Planning an outside party for a physician's assistant graduate in August. (in Texas) I have a pool and big backyard with trees. I haven't decided on menu for sure, I can cook smoked brisket and chicken ahead of time and I have a margarita machine. There will probably be about 50 people. Any "special" ideas from anyone out there?

By bonita from TX

Any suggestions for an outdoor party celebrating 2 sisters,- 1 graduating high school and the other graduating college?

By Elaine D.

My daughter is graduating in May with her Masters degree to be a CPA. I asked her what kind of theme she would like (I know she would think the graduation theme would not be for her (she's weird) She has a GPA of 4.0. She said jokingly she wanted a drunken theme. Of course, she knew I couldn't possibly come up with any ideas. She's right! Anyone have any ideas on this kind of theme. The beer and liquor will be flowing. I have arranged no one will drive that night. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Merci B from New Orleans, LA

I need ideas on how to host a college graduation party for my husband who will graduate in May with an Electrical Engineering degree. Any ideas on themes and favors will be greatly appreciated. The venue has been selected as well as the food and beverage. What does a host do in such celebrations? I want him and our guests to have fun.

By Lisa from CC, TX

Answers

Just had a thought, go to Radio Shack and choose a pretty large kit. Use the ingredients to decorate and have a table where the item can be assembled. See if they can get it done before the party is over, and don't lose the instructions!
Good luck and congrats to your grad!

I am looking for ides for a college graduation party for a travel major? Any ideas on centerpieces for a college graduate?

By Momma C

Thanks to those of you who sent suggestions for my son's graduation venue. We're decided to rent a hall and now we were wondering if we could incorporate a "Las Vegas" theme, although his major is chemistry. We were thinking of things such as wheel of fortune and chug a lug dice for pretend money. Instead of a universal favor, the top money holder will choose from the favors displayed, the one with the next amount, etc. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Mike's Mom from Boston, MA

I'm planning my first graduation party for 2 daughters. One will be a college graduate and the other a high school graduate. I need ideas.

Load More

Holidays and Parties Parties GraduationNovember 4, 2012
🌻
😎
🐛
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Graduation-Party-Ideas-5.html