Growing Carrots in a Greenhouse

I started growing several carrots in a large planter in our greenhouse. They sprouted about 3 weeks ago, but have since started to shrivel up.

I am watering them with a timer misting system, that runs every six hours for 3 minutes. I've been trying to determine the cause, but am not sure what's happened.

I think they are getting enough water because the soil is always moist even after digging down a few inches. Please let me know if anything needs to be clarified. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Carrots like cool
Conditions. You won't have luck growing them in a greenhouse in the spring and summer.

Best Answer

In our organic garden in Tahiti I grow carrots year round. Carrots love a sandy soil to grow in. After the seeds germinate and start to sprout I don't water them so often. Normally I water the carrots once a day and give them a good soaking. You can try moving your small plants to a drum.

I would make sure you have a good sandy soil mix, They grow best in this type of soil. Make sure you have plenty of dirt in your drum. Carrots will grow from the bottom up and you will need to add more dirt around the top of the carrots. I also chose a place that the carrots get plenty of sun.

Anonymous

not cool

You do not say where you live but one thing to remember is to not fertilize (small amount before seeding maybe) and not so much water after they sprout. Seems your constant watering may be a problem but growing in the hothouse in the summer may be the biggest problem.
Here is what most gardeners say:

You can also grow carrots in a greenhouse throughout the winter for a spring crop. Carrots are unsuitable for growing in a greenhouse during the spring and summer months as they prefer cool conditions.

Watering should be kept to a minimum once seedlings have emerged - only water when the soil is dry.

www.thompson-morgan.com/how-to-grow-carrots

maybe you can still save them if moved out side to a sunny location and in sandy or very loose soil mix.

Thanks for the answer and information. Not sure if it will change anything but I am from Omaha, NE and we have a shade cloth on the green house with ventilator fans running everyday and two smaller fans for air circulation.