Growing Cucumbers in Containers

I would like to plant cucumbers in a container. What kind of container should I use? Should it be big and tall like a 5 gallon bucket or short and small like a dish pan. I am growing the small cukes. Thank you.

By carole

Best Answer

I think you could use either one. My neighbor has one of those whiskey barrels and she has a tomato in the center and cukes along the sides of it. She is hoping they will drape over the edge.

Best Answer

In general the more soil you are able to give a veggie plant, the healthier it will be. It is easier to keep large pots from drying out and there are more nutrients available. Remember, if the volume of 2 containers is the same, the one with more surface area will dry out quicker.

If you use the 5-gallon bucket, you can poke one of those wire tomato supports into the soil and train the cucumber up it.

Home and Garden Gardening ContainerJune 7, 2010
🎄
🎉