CompostingGardening

Growing Fruit Trees Near a Dog Poop Septic Tank

I have to dig a 1ft opening x 3ft deep hole for my 3 large dogs' pooh as dog "septic tank" and it is expected to be full after 3mos. It is covered and worms linger. After the worms consume the feces it is all broken like sand in the afternoon. The cycle continues. Sometimes when rain comes it is half filled. Now I have grown a small tree called malunggay and a banana which is 10ft away from the "septic tank". When the "septic tank" is full I cover it with soil and dig a new one. Will the tree be affected as we always consume this malunggay vegetables everyday.

Thanks for any comment/info.

I would not do it unless the water in the septic tank is above 145 degrees F to kill germs

You will get lots of mixed reviews from people on this topic, as I have seen it debated for yeras.

Me, personally, I am a safety first person and am of the mind never to plant human foods where dog poop has been--even if composted.

That is just me. Flowers and ornamental, absolutely, but foods I am going to eat. No. I do not use any manures...so I may not be the best resource.

If your city has a home extension type office--or an agriculture college, you can get their feedback.

You say you dig a new hole about every 3 months so how large is your yard and how many feet from the tree can you dig your holes?

How many feet away from the tree would be safe?
That may be the question that needs to be answered.
Your local County Extension Office or Agriculture Agency can give you the answers you need before doing anything drastic.

npic.orst.edu/.../countyext.htm

There are lots of differences of opinion about this but several of the college extension offices say that trees are not the same as foods that grow in the ground (roots, stems, leaves) as the poisons cannot travel up a tree root or trunk. So much for that....

I would recommend a doggie disposal unit (digester system) as these work but not sure what size needed to accommodate 3 large dogs.
But - can't you just imagine how much cleaner this could be - for you, your yard and your dogs.

www.amazon.com/.../B00WMMMIX6?tag=thrif06-20

You can also make your own but you do have to buy additives.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWefbc1spd0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=74w7FWCYgLw