Growing Green Onions

When buying and using store bought green onions, get more than one use out of them. Carefully cut all the green tops then stick the rest of the onion, roots and all in small pot of dirt. Place on a sunny windowsill, water, and before you know it, you will have green onions again. Works like a charm!

By Jennifer from Topeka, KS

8 More Solutions

I love having a never-ending green onion garden, especially on the cheap. I recently got a huge bag of green onions at the shop for 50 cents. Some of them were starting to wilt at the tips. I used the dark green parts in some recipes, and soaked the roots in some water overnight. I then planted them.

DIY Green Onion Garden - large green onion tops

Don't toss your green onion scraps away, you can easily grow more! Soak your scraps in water. Once you see your green onion growing a little, transfer into a mason jar allowing the green onions to grow straight up, make sure the roots are in downward position.

A dish of green onion roots, with green growing out of the cut end.

Gardening season will soon be upon us. If you like the green part of green onions, harvest them when they are still fairly small and thin, about 6 inches tall. They will be very tender and delicious. In addition, don't pull them up by the roots.

If you don't use the white part with the roots attached, just clip off about an inch and stick them in gardening soil and water them, they grow just fine.

Are green onion firsthand? If so do you pull them and will the onion bulb still grow? When can you pull the onion from the ground?

By Angie from Clovis, CA

Answer this Question

I have been growing green onions in a really large container for about 30 - 40 years. I just cut off the top (green part) in the amount that I need. They have grown back no problem until now. The green is growing flat not tubular like they should be. What can I do to get them growing right again?

By Verue

Answer this Question

When you buy bunches of green onions, you can replant them and clip the outsides over and over until it gets hot and they go to seed.

Green onions that are basically free. Purchase one bunch of green onions, remove the bottoms with the root. (about an inch of each stem).

Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesFebruary 12, 2013
🐛
🐰
🌻
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Green-Onions-3.html