Growing Tree Onions (Walking Onions)

Category Growing Food
These onions form bulblets instead of flowers on their stalk, thus providing additional onion plants some distance from the mother plant. This is a guide about growing tree onions (walking onions).

If you like onion, the Walking Onion is a fun one to grow. Completely edible from the bulbs to the greens to the little bublets that grow on it's tips, this mild tasting onion is a great conversation starter as well. It starts out growing like green bunching onion, but then these little bublet clusters form at the tips. They start to send out crazy looking "arms" and then get heavy and cause the stalk to tip over. When the bublets touch the ground, they root and start a new bunch, which is why the onion seems like it is "walking". Great in stirfry, or raw in salads and sandwiches, and fun to look at in your garden!

By Regina from Rochester, NY

Where can I buy walking onions sets to plant this fall? I would prefer to buy from a local farmer.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Pete from MD

Answers

Mmmmm, what are walking onions? That is a new term to me!

Sometimes called Egyption multipliers. Planted in the fall they produce early in the spring and are delicious. Allow some of the plants to mature and they will produe bulbs at the end of the stalk. The bulbs will fall over when mature. Harvest them in July and and allow them to dry. Now you can separate the bulbs and plant them in the fall agsin. You will never have to buy another onion bulb. Write if you want to know how to plant them.

I call them ornamental onions. Have them in the flower beds, looks beautiful for background and helps keeps pests/bugs away. I got starters from my neighbor. I pop the tops off and toss into areas on my yard that could use a filler, and they come.

I would like to start growing some walking onions. I live in the upper part of South Carolina, can anyone help me get started? Thanks!

By Lonnie A.