Growing Plants in Moist Soil

When an area of your yard does not drain well, you should plan to plant moisture loving foliage there. This guide is about growing plants in moist soil.

I live in central Wisconsin about 40 miles west of Oshkosh. I have an area in my yard that when the snow melts or we have excessive rain it floods. In the spring, it can take two months or more before the area dries out. It is wet much longer than a typical rain garden because the water table is really high. Is there anything I can plant in this area that can withstand wet feet for that long?

By Gerald W. from Wautoma, WI

Answers

I also live in Wisconsin! My mom is planning to plant creeping phlox in her ditches this spring which also stay quite wet. Not sure if they will work but it's worth looking into.