Growing Rainer Cherry Trees?

0
Share
3
Save
Follow
Print

Can I plant and grow a Rainier cherry in tropical weather like in Puerto Rico? Thanks!

Those cherries are grown in areas with a cooler climate, like Washington

I believe that I would definitely have to say - no - they will not survive. I live in Florida and would dearly love to have a cherry tree but there is no way it would survive. I am in USDA zone 9 and you are even more tropical - USDA zone 11.

• You can check out some of the sale sites on Google and see some minor differences in zones listed but believe me, if it would grow in zone 11, they would be advertising it.
  • Here is one comment from a grower:
  • "In spite of the fact that sweet cherry varieties like Bing and Rainier bring premium prices at the supermarket, they are commercially grown only in a few places in the west and northwest.

That should make anyone suspicious about trying to grow them in the east or midwest. If it were possible to grow them with reasonable success in warm, humid summers, somebody would be doing it commercially and making a lot of money.
  • Tricky would be an understatement."
  • www.starkbros.com/.../rainier-sweet-cherry
  • www.almanac.com/.../cherries

You could, but they probably won't thrive as they like cooler, less humid conditions.

The Acerola cherry is grown in Puerto Rico and other more tropical locations. Since I heard about them a few years ago as a super food...I have been wanting to try them, but sadly, no one in my neck of the woods sells them.

I have an article about them here. They sound amazing!

zoom50.wordpress.com/.../

Hope you can find a tree variety you love and can grow in your area! Maybe your ag office (see link below) can point you in the direction of other cherry tree breeds that will thrive in your area:

www.fsa.usda.gov/.../

Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesJuly 17, 2018
🐛
👔
🌻
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Rainer-Cherry-Trees.html