Growing Snow Peas

Category Vegetables
These delicious pea pods grow in 60 - 70 days of warm weather, and with planned support are easy to grow in the garden. This guide is about growing snow peas.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can keep my snow peas off the ground in my garden?

By Sharon49 from PA

Answers

Best Answer

To keep regular peas (probably would work with snow peas) off the ground in our garden we line the row on both sides with wooden stakes and tie several rows of twine around them, that keeps them off the ground and gives them something to climb.

Best Answer

We used posts and chicken wire approx 6' high and when they reached that height I'd prune the tips and got more lateral branching.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
Pictured is the bloom of the snow pea, 'Melting Sugar'. I've grown it for several years. No more. The vines grow at a fast rate and produce an abundance of peas. I just don't find them very palatable, except maybe in stir fry.

This is my first year to grow the 'Sugar Snap' pea. They are delicious when picked and eaten straight from the vine. They freeze well and are very good in a stir fry or tossed salad.

Gardeners are constantly making improvements in their selections of the fruits and vegetables they grow. The sugar snap is so delicious, I consider this a major improvement for me.

And as they grow so very fast, it's not too late to plant a few. I got 4 packs of seed for a dollar at Dollar Tree. You can't beat that with a stick.

Comment Like this photo? 2