Growing Your Own Food

Category Vegetables
With a little work, deliciously, fresh vegetables can be grown in your very own garden. This guide is about growing your own food.

Groceries, believe it or not, are the absolute easiest place to cut back your expenses. So I figure, whatever you can grow, especially if it re-seeds itself, you don't have to pay for except when you buy the seeds. My husband raises a great big garden because that's what he loves to do. We also have fruit trees and berries.

In my flower beds along with lots of blooms there are Egyptian walking onions, parsley, spinach, mustard greens, sage, tarragon, lettuce,lemon balm, feverfew, garlic, comfrey and more. I planted them 20 years ago, and they still come back every year.

There is no garlic better than fresh (not dried) garlic to turn your entrees and garlic bread into pure ambrosia. All fresh herbs have better flavor fresh than dried. The green (Egyptian) onions and parsley are the main ingredients for tabouli, one of our favorites!

The Thanksgiving turkey has sage in it, as do our cottage cheese patties. On top of using these herbs and veggies in cooking, I dry some for winter use and enter some in the fair. A blue ribbon pays $2, and a Best of Show pays $5. Last year my premium checks totaled $51! If I'd had the time, I could have entered the same items in the next county's fair the following week. They pay more for their premiums.

Maintaining a flower bed with herbs in it is a snap. I keep the weeds pulled and put composted manure on once or twice a year.

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

A small garden space does not mean you can't have a nice yield if you employ a few techniques to intensify your gardening. This is a guide about six ways to get big yields from a small garden.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you are an organic eater like I am, then growing a garden should be in your life style, if you have the time and the ability. I just read a great book called Food Rules, by Michael Pollan. In the book, there is a great fact that says just investing $70.00 in to a garden can bring you a $600.00 yield in produce. What a return on your investment, and having not only organic food but also local, how great is that! What you do not eat, you can freeze or can for later use. You could use the $600.00 in savings to go on a vacation.

Source: Food Rules By Michael Pollan

By cutepachef from Cornin, NY

This is a guide about growing food in the fall and winter. When the summer growing season ends, it does not necessarily mean an end to your vegetable gardening.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about planning a vegetable garden. A well thought out plan will give you a head start on a successful garden.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about growing vegetables. You may be thinking about growing your own vegetables, but have questions.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes