Growing a Forsythia Bush from a Cutting

When rooting a forsythia cutting in water, how many roots do you need before planting it in the ground?

Best Answer

It is best to have a quite a few roots on the branch before you plant it. I normally root my plants in the florist foam that they use in flowers. This way the roots grow into the foam and when you plant this in the pot it helps to support the roots and the plants seem to grow better.

Best Answer

I would wait until I have a good cluster of roots before planting it in soil. Be sure and change the water often.

You should have a nice network of roots before you plant it.

I have had success in transplanting Forsythia cuttings when a few roots form (probably in about 4-6 weeks) but I have read that roots should be at least 1 inch or longer.

• Through trial and error I have found that transplanting cuttings into a proper soil mixture will make the difference in how well they grow.
  • Most sites recommend using a combination of coarse sand, perlite and/or peat moss.
  • I have had good luck with "home grown" compost with a few wood chips added as I believe the soil just needs to be "breathable" and hold light moisture (but not wet enough to cause root rot).
  • Here are some sites that have some good information on transplanting your cuttings.
  • www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../propagate-forsythia-shrubs.htm
  • homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-forsythia-plant-cuttings-41326...