Ham and Cabbage Stir Fry

Category Stir Fry
Stir fry meals are not only delicious, but they can allow you to incorporate food items you might have on hand. This cabbage and ham stir fry tastes as good as it looks. The recipe follows.

I went searching for a recipe for something with cabbage and ham in it. I found a few good recipes and took a few hints from all and made my own creation. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

• 1 ham steak or a ham bone with meat on it or a ham shank
  • half of a head of cabbage, sliced thick
  • 2 medium size onions, thick sliced
  • 3 stalks of celery, cut diagonally
  • 4 large carrots, cut into match stick size
  • 2 large cloves garlic, thin sliced
  • 3 large basil leaves, snipped
  • 1 handful of baby spinach
  • 1 (32oz) carton chicken broth, I used about half of it
  • 1 tsp salt over the vegetables
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dill weed
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar
  • olive oil in the pan with a Tbls of butter

I served this meal with fresh cooked beets. It was a perfect combo and colorful.

1. You will be using a covered skillet and a large bowl to put all your vegetables in as you prep everything. Start by cutting and thickly slicing all the vegetables and put them in the bowl.
  2. I used a ham steak. Using a sharp knife, cut the ham in 1/2 inch slices, then cut the slices in 3.
  3. When you have everything prepared, put 2 Tbls of olive oil and 2 Tbls of butter in the skillet. Using butter and olive oil together keeps the oil from burning so quickly ( old mom's hint).
  4. Advertisement

5. Start cooking the vegetables that take the longest to cook first; carrots, celery, some of the harder pieces of cabbage, stir these into the oil, tossing around the pan. After a few minutes, start adding and stirring in handfuls of the bowl of vegetables, keep tossing.
  6. Now is when you need to create some steam to cook the vegetables faster. Add a little bit at a time of the chicken broth. It should steam right up! Cover for 5 minutes and stir. Cover again for 5 minutes and stir. Do this until you have semi-cooked vegetables. You don't want them soggy. And you don't want them too hard Test a few pieces.
  7. Advertisement

8. Ready to serve? Yes! Put into a deep dish bowl and serve with sliced cooked beets! This was so full of so many flavors and fragrant too.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Food and Recipes Recipes Stir FryApril 3, 2020
🐛
👒
🌻
😷

Generated 2020-04-13 05:40:26 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️