Ham and Cabbage Stir Fry
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 355 Posts
February 8, 2020
I went searching for a recipe for something with cabbage and ham in it. I found a few good recipes and took a few hints from all and made my own creation. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!
- 1 ham steak or a ham bone with meat on it or a ham shank
- half of a head of cabbage, sliced thick
- 2 medium size onions, thick sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, cut diagonally
- 4 large carrots, cut into match stick size
- 2 large cloves garlic, thin sliced
- 3 large basil leaves, snipped
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 1 (32oz) carton chicken broth, I used about half of it
- 1 tsp salt over the vegetables
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dill weed
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- olive oil in the pan with a Tbls of butter
I served this meal with fresh cooked beets. It was a perfect combo and colorful.
- You will be using a covered skillet and a large bowl to put all your vegetables in as you prep everything. Start by cutting and thickly slicing all the vegetables and put them in the bowl.
- I used a ham steak. Using a sharp knife, cut the ham in 1/2 inch slices, then cut the slices in 3.
- When you have everything prepared, put 2 Tbls of olive oil and 2 Tbls of butter in the skillet. Using butter and olive oil together keeps the oil from burning so quickly ( old mom's hint).
- Start cooking the vegetables that take the longest to cook first; carrots, celery, some of the harder pieces of cabbage, stir these into the oil, tossing around the pan. After a few minutes, start adding and stirring in handfuls of the bowl of vegetables, keep tossing.
- Now is when you need to create some steam to cook the vegetables faster. Add a little bit at a time of the chicken broth. It should steam right up! Cover for 5 minutes and stir. Cover again for 5 minutes and stir. Do this until you have semi-cooked vegetables. You don't want them soggy. And you don't want them too hard Test a few pieces.
- Ready to serve? Yes! Put into a deep dish bowl and serve with sliced cooked beets! This was so full of so many flavors and fragrant too.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.