Hard Water Spots on Granite Counters

We have hard water. How can I remove a narrow hard water ring on the granite around my soap dispenser, as well as in the crevices of my polished nickel faucet? The faucet and granite are two years old and except for cleaning the granite, I haven't done much of anything for their upkeep. I would like to learn how to maintain them, as I also have noticed a hard water stain at the back of my soap dispenser as well. Thanks.

By Claireanne from Irvine, CA

Answers:

Hard Water Spots on Granite Counters

There are different types of granite, some are more porous than others, some require sealers every so often, etc. If you go to where you purchased the granite, they should be able to tell you the manufacturer's recommendations for your particular granite.

You didn't say what your soap dispenser is made of.

Polished nickel faucets can have different finishes. Some are coated, and some manufacturers have better coatings than others. Faucets that are not coated tend to tarnish in time or more quickly with exposure to chemicals. To clean crevices in the bathroom and kitchen, I use an old toothbrush and water. For built-up calcium in crevices, I use a screwdriver and gently and carefully work at it, being careful not to scratch anything, then follow with the wet toothbrush. (07/01/2009)

By Fortunately

Hard Water Spots on Granite Counters

I don't know if this will work on granite, but, when I wanted to clean hard water spots off my glass table, I used Barkeeper's Friend. It's a softer version of Comet. Comet might work just as well, though. You might try an inconspicuous spot first to be sure it doesn't hurt the sheen of the granite. Good luck and God bless you. (07/02/2009)

By tedsmom

Hard Water Spots on Granite Counters

I have used Limeaway.

To prevent it from happening again, I'd use a good paste wax and put down several coats in that area. (07/04/2009)

By mom-from-missouri

Hard Water Spots on Granite Counters

Razor blade will work on the granite just don't go at it like a maniac. Use it at an angle and gently scrape it off (I've been cleaning houses for years, so I know all the little tricks.) Lime Away works also, but be careful because if you leave it on too long it will eat your granite and mar your faucet. A better alternative would be to use vinegar. It's a natural lime deposit cleaner. Put some on both your granite and nickel faucet let set for short time then use razor on granite and wipe faucet. (07/05/2009)

By wildwoman77