Have Recipes Will Travel

I live in a foreign country and also love to cook. So, when I visit my family in the states, I usually say from 2-4 weeks and because airline tickets are expensive, I try to stay a decent amount of time. This time allows me to "make the rounds" so that I can see everyone. The time goes fast because I have such a big family.

I bring with me a 5x7 inch little spiral notebook with some of my special recipes. This way I can not only share my recipes with my family but cook for them as well. This saves us all money because we don't want to eat out too much. My family can just relax and enjoy themselves while I serve them. It is a small gesture of appreciation and love. I shop for all the ingredients and organize everything and then we open a bottle of wine (or two) and relax together.

Of course, my family will not let me pay actual money to them in exchange for staying in their homes, so I do this as a way to "chip in" on all the expenses while I am there and help out especially for those family members who work. The little book is easy to travel with, just throw it in your suitcase. The book also helps at the grocery store to know which ingredients you will need for each dish. I live in Latin America, so lots of my recipes are ones they consider a special change from what they are used to eating.

This is a great idea! I've done this when visiting my son and his family for the summer. I don't need to take my entire collection but it lets me prepare a few favorites, old and new!

I am relocating to Honduras in the next few years. Would you be willing to share some recipes with me? This is a fantastic idea, I love to try new foods! I've had sopa de mondongo (tripe soup), pupusas y curtido, ceviche. I make homemade tortillas from time to time, but I have to use a tortilla press. :)

I love to make what my boyfriend calls tacos (tacos in Honduras, taquitos to us in the USA) shredded chicken inside corn tortillas deep fried. Topped with shredded lettuce or cabbage, tomato, onion, green pepper, etc. My boyfriend and his brother prefer mozzerella cheese, and plain tomato sauce out of a can mixed with a can of water. I myself prefer taco sauce. It's just a matter of topping them with what you like.