Hearty Kale Pasta Sauce
I like to have days where we skip meat completely, but fill them with delicious, nutrient-rich foods that make you forget animal protein wasn't even involved. This kale pasta sauce is bright, zesty, and filled with veggies. Chopping the veggies into small pieces, and having some grated, creates a lovely thick sauce. Usually, my family members ask me, "Where's the beef?" They completely forget about that when I serve this dish.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium carrot, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- Heat up a bit of cooking oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers. Cook for a few minutes, then add carrot, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook for another few minutes until everything is lightly browned.
- Add kale to the pot and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- When kale has wilted, sprinkle with a small amount of salt and pepper.
- Mix in the tomato sauce and wine, then increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as needed. Cooked kale can become quite tart. Mix in about a teaspoon of sugar to balance the flavours, if needed. Serve on a bed of pasta and top with some cheese.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!