Hearty Tamale Pie
Influenced by the Mexican tamale, this casserole is a wonderful complete meal.This is a page about hearty tamale pie
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I love comfort food just as much as the next person, probably more! After making this recipe, I discovered that comfort food can be healthy too. An excellent source of protein and nutrition, this is a recipe you can feel good about making and eating. Leaves you full for a long time without that heavy tired feeling afterwards. And don't be intimidated by a few of these ingredients, I found them all at my local grocery store.
Total Time: About an hour total
Yield: 6 servings
Source: Modified from a recipe in the book; "Clean Eating For Busy Families".
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 15 15 oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with green pepper, celery and onion
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup whole grain corn flour or ground whole grain cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp light agave nectar
- fat free plain greek yogurt
- avocado slices
- For the filling; heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add your grapeseed oil. When your oil is hot, add your onion and garlic.
- Stirring continuously, cook this for 3 or 4 minutes, or until they are softened.
- Add your remaining filling ingredients.
- Continue cooking and stirring until heated through.
- For your topping, add your flours, baking powder and salt to a bowl, stir.
- In another bowl, combine your remaining topping ingredients and mix well.
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry just until combined.
- Spread your filling ingredients in a 9x9 inch baking dish. I used a 13x9 inch dish because I doubled this recipe.
- Spread your topping evenly over your beans.
- Bake in a 425 degree F oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Top with your yogurt, salsa and avocado. Enjoy!
April 14, 20150 found this helpful
That looks delicious!
April 25, 20150 found this helpful
Looks delicious. Can't wait to try it.