Help Identifying Old Farm Equipment

I recently volunteered at a local museum (Poquoson, VA) to research the origins of some old farm equipment that they received as donations. The equipment is in "as is" condition and may not be complete.


I've taken several photographs of what I think is a harvester (from different angles) and am unable to locate any manufacturing marks or model numbers on the unit due to its condition.

I'd be most appreciative of any assistance that I can get, in regard to identifying this particular piece of equipment:

1. Who manufactured it?
2. When was it manufactured?
3. What did it cost?
4. How was it used?

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

December 5, 20201 found this helpful

I think what you have here is an old wind-row hay rake. It would have been hauled through a hay field, where the cut and dry hay would be raked into a long wind-row, to make it easier for the baler machine to pick up the gathered hay and bale it into rectangle bales, or prior to baling machines, for the farmer to hand-fork the hay into wagons. Very neat old piece of typical farm machinery.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
December 5, 20201 found this helpful

Here is a link to this piece of farm equipment:
and another site:
another site:
and here's a photo:

I hope this helps answer your questions. Good luck and stay healthy.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
December 6, 20200 found this helpful

Thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate the help.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 5, 20200 found this helpful

I believe this may be the easiest piece of farm equipment we've been asked to help identify.
I believe your picture is of a #594 John Deere hay rake but these were also make by other companies so I may be wrong on that; it seems the actual years of production was from 1945 - 1952 (I could not narrow it down any closer since different years were stated on each site).
I have not found anything about original cost as the only ones I found were from those years and just regular people/farmers owned them.
There is a lot of information available online but mostly just from owners asking questions.

I did like this very short YouTube video of a machine in action:

here is an excellent article:

As to the answers to your questions you may be able to contact the John Deere Museum and let them verify that your pictures are of this model.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 6, 20200 found this helpful

Once again, thank you one and all for sharing your considerable expertise with me. I may need additional help in the near future.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 7, 20200 found this helpful

This is a large farm Hay Raker - it is used to cut down Hay , making it ready for collection. - - Also more pictures of this vintage Har Raker Machine -

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesDecember 5, 2020
New Years Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-12-07 15:13:58 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.