Identifying Antique Farm Equipment?

0
Share
Pin
Save
Follow
Print
This is a page about identifying antique farm equipment. Many people really enjoy old farm equipment, whether to restore it or just display it. Do you have a piece you want to identify or do you know more about the equipment featured in this page?

49 Questions

Can anyone date this old farm plow and give some other insight on it? There was a seat on it.

Answers

Best Answer

From a bit of searching I did, I think you have an antique horse-drawn cultivator. This type came into use starting in the mid 1800's. Without manufacturer's info, it's impossible to pinpoint your piece. Check over the whole thing for ANY letters or numbers, as that will help identify and date yours. Here are some links to look at to try to match yours.

This looks like your picture -an antique horse-drawn cultivator:
www.ebay.com/.../192865069600

Here is another one like yours - a John Deere horse-drawn cultivator:
www.k-bid.com/.../3

If I've identified it correctly, this machinery was pulled by a horse(or maybe a team), the farmer would sit on a seat on the machine, controlling not only the reigns for the horse(s) but also working any levers or handles for the cultivator....usually had a depth control handle to raise and lower the spades and drag tines. Doing this, the farmer could dig deeper or shallower, depending on the condition of the soil AND what he was going to plant. This cultivator was used AFTER a field had been either freshly or previously plowed with a larger rip plow. A rip plow was used to cut into unplowed fields, where the plow would cut long furrows into the soil, then break it over on itself, and start to loosen the clods of soil. The cultivator further broke up the soil and readied the field for planting.

I hope I'm on the right track to your piece. Really, any kind of markings you can find will help, and I'll be glad to do more searching with any further info you can give. I'll follow this, so just post back with anything else, or if you want help.
Stay safe and healthy in these trying times.

Answer this Question

Does anyone know what this is? I bought this at a local farmer's market in Michigan. It's all wood and has a small lever that expands the rounded ends.

It almost looks like a big clamp of sorts.

Answers

Best Answer

How tall is it?

It looks like something to stretch leather--horse saddle, hats?

Best Answer

It looks like a leather stitching Pony Clamp that a harness maker would use. There are many examples on Pinterest.

Best Answer

So cool!!

I found one that sold on eBay for 55.00 plus shipping:

www.ebay.com/.../123824246926?hash=item1cd480108e...

Blessings!! So excited to learn something new today!!

Answer this Question

I just got this from a friend. Is it a cultivator? Horse drawn? Haven't been able to find this one online anywhere. Any ideas? Wondering what it is worth as well.

Answer this Question

I found this the other day while exploring a rural property we recently purchased. The area is in the Lee River/Lac Du Bonnet municipality in Manitoba, Canada. We were told by the former owner that part of the property at one time was used for farming. They had not explored much of the 10 acres over the years so I knew there may be things left in the forest by the original homesteaders. I have absolutely no knowledge with farm equipment, past or present.

It's a large machine and the photo that shows the dark metal "forks" is only part of that piece of the machine. These forks are on a long piece of metal, at least 3 feet in length and laid flat on frame of some sort. It is hard to really provide anything more specific as the machine is sunk into the ground quite a bit and is covered in leafs, dirt and branches. I didn't have the amount of time I wished to really investigate this find as there had been reports of bears roaming and I had gone into the bush unprepared should I encounter any wildlife. Any help would be much appreciated.

Answer this Question

Does anyone know what this is and what it was used for?

Answers

Best Answer

My first thought was some sort of feather remover for processing poultry. Then I noticed the "hopper" on the end and now think it's some sort of grain sifter/sorter. Just my guess though. Have fun identifying it.

Best Answer

I think it is a old grain processor, with a crank and slot to drop the grain in!

Best Answer

My grandfather had a lot of old farm equipment in his garage and this one was there. It is actually an old grain hopper that the grain is put in to husk the grain and get it ready for use. The grain is dropped down the shoot at the left and then the basket is turned. This will separate the grain from the his and allow it to be stored for winter, sold, or used in the home for cooking once it is ground.

Answer this Question

I have 2 of these but don't know what they are. Can anyone give me an idea.?

Answer this Question

I like old stuff but I have no idea what this thing is that I found in my father-in-law's shed. Thanks!

Answer this Question

I do not know what this is, not sure if I want to sell or keep. Please advise, thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

This looks like hand push garden plow that has some parts missing but may also have been converted into a seeder.
Most seeder had a larger flat wheel than this one and that is the reason I said it may have been converted.
As a seeder it would be missing the seed box that sits on top of the flat piece behind the wheel and also a smaller wide flat wheel that pushes the seed into the ground.
This is a regular seeder:

www.ebay.com/.../193154085420?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt...

If it was originally a push hand plow the cultivator tines are missing:

for-sale.yowcow.com/.../

Could be a plow or combination.

If you will join these groups and post your pictures someone will tell you exactly what this is.

www.tractorbynet.com/.../294663-antique-farm-equipment-please...

www.reddit.com/.../

Answer this Question

Please can you tell me what this is, what is was pulled with, the approximate year, what it was used for? Thank you so much.

Answers

Best Answer

This is a set of disks. They were pulled by a tractor or work animal, such as horse, mule, or ox. After the initial plowing that ripped a furrow into the ground, these disks were dragged over the plowed area to break up the big clods of soil. Most times, a set of drags were then dragged over the area to further break up the soil and ready the ground for planting. The drags were a set of half-round tines side-by-side, with a lever/handle that could change the depth they went into the soil. Disks are still in use today for readying the land for planting crops. They've been around for a very long time. Hope that answers your question.

Best Answer

I believe this is a vintage Disc Plough (smooth round discs) and was used to break up hard soil and was usually followed by similar type of equipment called Disc Harrow that had notched disc blades.
There seems to be a lot of confusion about what these discs are called and many people just call all of these 'disc harrows' but there is a difference and are generally used according to the condition/type of soil.
The disc parts of plough is round but that of the disc harrow is notched.

Quotes from farm equipment sites:

"The Usage Difference: Disc plough is used to till the uncultivated land and disc harrow is used to till the disc plow turned land. If the ground has been turned with a dis plow, the disc harrow can be used."

"In a nutshell; disc plough is used to create wider ridges on the field than a disc Harrow. A disc plough can have up to 6 discs on it at one time, whereas a disc Harrow can have up to 54.

I believe your pictures show disc plough that could have been used with farm animals or a tractor.

Here are some pictures of similar equipment:

photovault.com/377867

they are calling this a 'disc harrow' in error as it is a disc plough but very good pictures.

chatstractors.com/1380-disk-harrow.htm

This picture is like your pictured equipment but it is a disc harrow and your pics show a disc plough.

www.mclemoreauction.com/.../pull-behind-2-gang-drag-disk-36734

Dates and brand names are difficult to find as these were in use for many years and many are still used on small farms.

You might try asking your question on one of these sites as questions are usually answered by knowledgeable collectors or farm people.

www.yesterdaystractors.com/.../boards.cgi

www.tractorbynet.com/.../391718-vintage-farm-equipment-identification...

Answer this Question

I'm an unemployed, special education teacher and have this in my possession and would like to know if I am correct and believing it to be a hay trolley? I would also like to know the value of it.

Answer this Question

I found it in the machine shed. I am not sure if I should keep it, or what is does.

Answers

Best Answer

This is a antique reel mower with a tiller attachment. On eBay they are ranging from $25 to $95.

Best Answer

The front part of the machine will cut down the weeds in the garden or in the field and the back part is used for turning the ground so that you can now plant in the field. It is a weeder and scraper or earth turner. They use to use this to clean the field and turn the dirt so they can plant in the fields.

Best Answer

This is a hand-pushed cultivator, tiller, weeder. The front part helps dig into the soil and the tines on the back break up the soil further. Then if you flip the whole thing over, the longest blade cuts off weeds below the soil surface. Lehman's, for one, still makes this type of garden tool. You can see a modern one in use if you search on You tube for: Using a Garden Cultivator...it is by Mother Earth News.

Answer this Question

Can anyone tell me who manufactured this plow clevis and type of plow; walk/sit behind? Any information would be much appreciated.

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesJune 15, 2018
🌻
👔
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-Antique-Farm-Equipment.html