Identifying Vintage and Antique Tools and Hardware

Category Miscellaneous
Vintage and antique tools and hardware are collectibles sought after by some as rustic decor or garden decorations. Identifying the items is a part of the process and perhaps one of the most fun phases.

I acquired this pin in a box at an auction at an old rural hardware store. The pin is 7 1/2" long and is diamond shaped. The part # 13242 is stenciled on the side. Value? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

I think it's possible this is a reproduction of an antique building nail.

here is a link to some information on antique nails:

www.realorrepro.com/.../Nails-as-clues-to-age

This site has a link where you can ask your question and post pictures to a forum and they can probably provide the information you're looking for.

inspectapedia.com/.../Nails_Hardware_Age.php

I found this with my metal detector on my property in NW Washington state. The area has been logged over the years. There were quite a few cedar stumps with notches in them.

Answers

Best Answer

It does appear to be a tool for hooking logs or pulp.
I believe it could have had a wooden handle that was attached with bolts (through the holes) that allowed someone to hit the log and pull it toward them.

I have a very old pulp logging tool but it has a loop handle instead of long handle so I'm not really sure what this would be called.

Here is a link to logging hooks on eBay and it seems most of them are similar to mine and have a loop handle.

www.ebay.ca/.../i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=vintage+logging...

Here is link to a forestry forum that answers questions about older items like this.
The registration form seems ridiculous but it's just a lot of questions and not bad once you get started. You will get an answer if you join.
Otherwise someone else will come along and maybe have an easy answer (maybe Pghgirl will post some ideas).

forestryforum.com/.../index.php?action=register

This is a page about identifying antique farm equipment. Many people really enjoy old farm equipment, whether to restore it or just display it.

Do you have a piece you want to identify or do you know more about the equipment featured in this page?

Old rusty agricultural Equipment.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousMay 6, 2020
🐛
👔
🌻
👒
😷

Generated 2020-05-07 23:08:13 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️