Identifying an Old Piece of Equipment?

August 24, 2020

Identifying Old Equipment? - rusty flat bottomed iron ball with a pulley style wheel mounted on topThis was found on an old farm. It weighs 50 pounds. I am trying to find out what it is.



Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 140 Posts
August 24, 20200 found this helpful
Best Answer

This looks like a weight for a Pulley system. A Pulley system is used for machinery, farm equipment , and even exercise machines. With the groove cut into it and weight makes it appear to be a vintage pulley weight.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
August 25, 20200 found this helpful
Best Answer

This belonged to a pulley system that was used to move larger pieces of equipment around or up in the air. I think this was used when they were working on the motors of the farm equipment and would use this pully to help remove the motor from the tractor.


My grandfather had a garage and in the garage were different pullies like this one and he would put a chain o them and use them to move the motors around in his garage.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question

More Questions

Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

April 14, 2020

Can someone please tell me what this thing is?

Identifying an Old Piece of Equipment - vintage piece of metal equipment, sort of a table


Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 320 Answers
April 15, 20200 found this helpful

Wow this is a stumper! Are the 4 spool parts electric do you think? The arms with the hooks are adjustable and there are rollers and a crank, so I'm wondering if the electricity moved the jig side to side while the hand crank was used (wild guess here) to pull sheeps' wool or something up and then through the rollers?


I'm very curious! Also it appears to be portable, so it could be taken to different pens maybe?

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
April 16, 20201 found this helpful

You have the hooks on the bottom of the table to hold either buckets or something else in place. The 4 posts are spindles that would take up the item after it has been cleaned and washed. I was thinking it was a wool separator that had the 4 spindles on it so that the person could use 4 spinning wheel to spin the wool.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
Answer this Question
In This Page
Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousMay 16, 2020
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-10-25 17:25:22 in 5 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.