Identifying Antique Logging Equipment?

I found this with my metal detector on my property in NW Washington state. The area has been logged over the years. There were quite a few cedar stumps with notches in them.

Best Answer

It does appear to be a tool for hooking logs or pulp.
I believe it could have had a wooden handle that was attached with bolts (through the holes) that allowed someone to hit the log and pull it toward them.
I have a very old pulp logging tool but it has a loop handle instead of long handle so I'm not really sure what this would be called.

Here is a link to logging hooks on eBay and it seems most of them are similar to mine and have a loop handle.

www.ebay.ca/.../i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=vintage+logging...

Here is link to a forestry forum that answers questions about older items like this.
The registration form seems ridiculous but it's just a lot of questions and not bad once you get started. You will get an answer if you join.

Otherwise someone else will come along and maybe have an easy answer (maybe Pghgirl will post some ideas).

forestryforum.com/.../index.php?action=register

Hard to tell the size, but it might be a "pulp hook" - used for plucking and pulling small logs off a stack.

Actually, this looks like a smaller version of something that once fell off a car I owned in the 1980s. I can't remember all the details.

If you have a mechanic nearby, see if he can tell you. I want to say it was something to do with the brakes.

Perhaps if your area was logged it was something that fell off a vehicle.

Post back what you learn!

Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesFebruary 26, 2020
😎
😷
🐛
👔
🌻
🎆