Help to Build a Dream?


My father bought a burned down property across the street about 4 years ago. He told me recently that if my wife and I wanted the property, we could buy it for the $1,000.00 he paid for it. It sits on 3/4 acre. Everything is burned down except the bricks and 20% of the frame. My wife and I would love to rebuild this house, and make it our home. Any suggestions on any grants for our situation?


By Terry from Webb, MS

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

March 5, 20141 found this helpful
Best Answer

There are loans available to build homes. You are paying an excellent, low price for the land, which means that you don't have to take out a loan for that. You can contact local builders/contractors; they often either have their own financing or they can recommend some.

Contact your local credit union as well. They probably have a great low-interest loan program. You don't have to be a member now; you can join then apply for the loan. I'd stay away from banks though; they are not the best place to get mortgage loans.

If you are allowed to put a mobile on the property (you may not be; you'll have to check), you can get fabulous manufactured homes for a fraction of the cost of a site-built home. Financing is available on those as well.


You could use the bricks for all kinds of things: a brick wall/fireplace in the living room; a brick patio/walkway; a brick wall to set off a garden; the possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
May 7, 20190 found this helpful

You didn't answer his question! He asked about grants: free programs, community improvement aid, tax incentives, local help for blighted property help. Anyone can go to bank and ask for a loan

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 4, 20140 found this helpful

Contact Ellen Degeneres via email/ website. I know it sound far fetched... but she is always helping out in various situations. Besides the worst she can say is no! Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 5, 20140 found this helpful

For grant information, I would contact your local community development office. There is an FHA loan called 203K that will finance purchase and rehab on a property for owner-occupants.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 22, 20140 found this helpful

There's a website called, "go fund me", maybe you could hit up your facebook community or something.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Home and Garden Repair HomeMarch 4, 2014
Fourth of July Ideas!
Father's Day Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2021-06-09 08:34:41 in 799 msecs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.