Help to Build a Dream

My father bought a burned down property across the street about 4 years ago. He told me recently that if my wife and I wanted the property, we could buy it for the $1,000.00 he paid for it. It sits on 3/4 acre. Everything is burned down except the bricks and 20% of the frame. My wife and I would love to rebuild this house, and make it our home. Any suggestions on any grants for our situation?

By Terry from Webb, MS

Contact Ellen Degeneres via email/ website. I know it sound far fetched... but she is always helping out in various situations. Besides the worst she can say is no! Good luck!

For grant information, I would contact your local community development office. There is an FHA loan called 203K that will finance purchase and rehab on a property for owner-occupants.

I don't know about grants. Aren't those taxpayer funds? It doesn't seem right for taxpayers to pay for someone else to build a home when they are paying off loans on their own homes. However, there are loans available to build homes. You are paying an excellent, low price for the land, which means that you don't have to take out a loan for that. You can contact local builders/contractors; they often either have their own financing or they can recommend some.

Contact your local credit union as well. They probably have a great low-interest loan program. You don't have to be a member now; you can join then apply for the loan. I'd stay away from banks though; they are not the best place to get mortgage loans.

If you are allowed to put a mobile on the property (you may not be; you'll have to check), you can get fabulous manufactured homes for a fraction of the cost of a site-built home. Financing is available on those as well.

You could use the bricks for all kinds of things: a brick wall/fireplace in the living room; a brick patio/walkway; a brick wall to set off a garden; the possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

There's a website called, "go fund me", maybe you could hit up your facebook community or something.