CommunityBetter Living

Helping Out in Disasters When You Can't be There

It is so sad to see all these people in those areas that have been devastated by natural disasters. I wish I could actually be there picking up things and handing out needed supplies. I, of course, do not have the time or the means to help that way.

I happen to know a person there, through a friend, who I am sending things, but most of us don't know people personally. In this case looking up the info of churches in the general area and calling them and asking if they are accepting supplies and what the needs are, are good ideas on ways to help.

It is the work of the common people that bring the most uncommon results.

Great ideas. I have friends and family in that area, as well. They're also reporting that in addition to or instead of contacting churches--which some affected just unfortunately won't go to, as there are people who feel that there will be religious "strings attached", be that feeling right or wrong-- think about visiting the websites of the towns/cities. Many of them are calling for what they need right on their municipal websites; things like blankets, diapers, formula, gift cards to their regional supermarkets--for dropoff or mailing to town halls, community/senior centers, police and/or fire stations.

Also thumbs up to your great Andrew Carnegie quote at the end of your post, OP.

Good idea that you had. Also, I have found a website to Click to Give for Superstorm Sandy. It just takes a minute & you can click on each of the 8 Greater Good Network Helpers that are listed at the top of this webpage. I click here everyday & it does make you feel good by helping!
www.theanimalrescuesite.com