Hiding Places for Cash at Home

Category Tips
This is a guide about hiding places for cash at home. It can be helpful to have a little bit of cash stashed away at home, in case of an emergency. Here are some ideas of how to keep it safely hidden, without making it hard to get to.

There are times we need cash for various purchases but don't want to make a trip to the bank or pay charges at a cash machine. I don't like carrying cash every day but want it hidden in a safe spot in my home. I came up with a few good hiding places so the cash isn't all in one spot:

Hope you all share your ideas and, of course, you really should tell someone you trust of your hiding places 'just in case'. ;-)

By Ann from Richland, WA

Top Comment

This reminds me of my rather eccentric sister keeping her stash in a "non see through" container in the freezer. She called it her cold cash fund

Top Comment

I hide mine in with my feminine products. Most people won't go near those!

Top Comment

Just be careful - a lot of those places (shirt not worn, shoes not worn, book no one likely to read, etc) sound like great candidates for the Goodwill box during a de-cluttering bash. It would be so easy to donate/throw the items away without checking to see if there is $ in them. I keep some cash on the bottom of the basket where I keep under my undies and some in a board game.

Top Comment

I hide mine in an empty mayonnaise jar that I painted the inside a cream color. I'm careful to not damage the outside label. I have another extra jar in the pantry too, can't tell the difference between them.

Top Comment

Some great ideas, but after seeing a relative lose quite a few bucks from her various cash stash places, due to a house fire, I picked up the smallest fireproof locking cash box I could find.

We have a lot of books, with some of them sitting double on the shelving; the cashbox is hidden on a back row, with books piled under, in front and on the sides of it.

It's a little work to get to the money, but it also helps me to stay "hands off!" whenever tempted to dip into it, and it's more secure from fire or water disaster.

Top Comment

This all sounds great but the older couple we bought our house from about 2 years ago forgot many of their hiding places. In the first six months we found a few $50 bills tucked under the drawer liners in the kitchen, under some rugs left in the laundry room, and in the baking soda box left in the refrigerator, but the biggest find was $600 dollars between the carpet and the pad in the bedroom.

When I called the previous owner to let her know we had found such a large sum of money she simply could not remember what that money was for and who may have put it there. She proposed we keep it because at the time we had a baby on the way. And didn't we all learn a lesson from the story out of the east coast this summer when the daughter tried to do a good thing for her mother and buy her a new mattress but little did she know there was 1 million dollars stuffed in the old mattress!