AdviceGeneral Parenting

High Tech Kids in a Low Tech Place

During a trip to the Saturday Market in Salem OR, I helped a little boy learn that not everything is high tech.

Outside the porta-potties are hand washing stations. You pump the water through the faucet with your foot on a pedal. A boy of about 8 walked up, waved his hands under the faucet and said "this thing isn't working"!

I subdued my laughter until I showed him how it worked, then had to marvel at what our kids today are used to. Toilets that flush themselves, faucets that run when needed only, doors that open when we don't even touch them, and so on. They will never hear a busy signal, dial tone, or operator.

Watches will someday be obsolete as their cells take care of the time and books and movies and music, and you never have to eject or rewind anything! I remember when just having a transistor radio with earphones was the coolest thing ever. There was no such thing as IM, Skype, Tweet, or Facebook.

I have lived to see some amazing thing and I hope to be around to see even more. But I also hope I will never be too old to laugh at a high tech kid in a low tech place!

Directions:

Too funny! I remember when my sons 3rd grade class went to a telephone museum. They were shown how to use a 'dial' phone and most of them couldn't grasp the concept of keeping their finger in the circle and having to redial the entire number if they made a mistake with just one of the numbers.

I recall when we picked the receiver off the hook, cranked the little generator and the operator would ask, "Number please?"

Yep, and I remember the first b/w tv we had. I could have slept in it! I also remember long range radio's that had 5' antenna's what you could get London, Tokyo and all manner of foreign music! Now we can hold 1000 songs on a device small enough to fit in our lip stick carrier!

I might long for the "good ole' days" but I sure do love the good new days, too!