Laundry RecipesCleaning Supply Recipes

Homemade Bleach Alternative

This is an easy and safe homemade alternative to bleach. Combine 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of lemon juice (fresh or bottled), 10-15 drops of lemon essential oil, and 6 cups of water. Make sure to store mixture in an opaque bottle because over time, light affects hydrogen peroxide. Add a cup or 2 of mixture to each wash load of white laundry, or put it in a spray bottle and use as a household cleaner.

You are so right. Hydrogen peroxide is an excellent bleach for laundry. The lemon juice acts as a catalyst to the peroxide. I use equal parts peroxide and ammonia in very hot water, along with detergent, for my bed linens. Body oils are gone. My linens look new.

My version cannot be mixed ahead of time.