Homemade Clay Recipes

I am new here. I am looking for a good pottery clay recipe for making a bowl. My niece is engaged to be married and I want to make a plate/flat bowl for her. I saw one on Pinterest, it was used in the wedding for the ring barrer to carry the rings in. It had a doily pressed into it and the couples initials and some birds perched on the side. I want to make something similar that will last as a keepsake. I would like to paint it and be able to seal it with shellac. Any recipes that would be good for this kind of project and can be made from home cheaply? I don't have much money.

The best home made clay recipe I have used is called "cold porcelain". There are a variety of recipes available online and you would be able to find one that suits what you have on hand. It air dries, can be painted and sealed and I have unpainted pieces that are over ten years old and are solid. The clay is smooth and light colored. Not for food but very nice for decorative.