Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors

I need a simple recipe for removing pet urine odors that I can make myself.

Debbie

Answers:

Peroxide, Baking Soda, and Dish Soap

I have used the following recipe and like it. I have been using this recipe for years now. It works. I have 4 cats and 2 dogs, and when one has an accident I use this and it takes the smell away instantly! No more having to buy expensive odor removers from the store.

• 1 (8 ounce) bottle hydrogen peroxide
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1-2 drops of liquid dish soap

Mix all together gently and pour in a spray bottle. Do not shake up this mix or you may have a lot of foam. I have also used a watering can and this works well also.

Spray onto urine stain and walk away. Allow to dry. No need to rub or scrub the area. For tough odors you may have to repeat. I would also check your fabric/carpet for color fastness before using due to the peroxide content. I have never had any problems with any fabric changing colors from this mix.

By Linda

Vinegar and Water

I soak up as much of the urine as I can. Then I use white vinegar mixed with water (1:1) to wet it down. Then soak it up again. Once in a while I need to soak it up with the vinegar mix twice.

By suzin

Borax

I have had a problem with cat urine on my bed spread. It is washable, but after washing there was a faint lingering smell. I washed it the next time and added 1/2 cup borax (I have a front loading machine). There was no smell this time. I understand borax (borateem) can have a lightening effect like peroxide, but I have never had it do that. I use it all the time now on anything with an odor.

By Lizzyanny

RE: Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors

An occasional potty mishap on the carpet by the dog who did not get to the back door fast enough; I toss a towel on it to soak up, then I slosh some clear vinegar onto it, run and get about 2 cups warm water, more vinegar to the mix, slop that on and grab the carpet shampooer to suck it all up. My carpet does not smell at all. I do not use deodorizers in my home due to allergies. I also use my carpet shampooer with clean water about once a month to rinse the carpet. You can put some vinegar in the water to rinse if you want a fresh smell.

By TandT Grandma

Peroxide and Baking Soda

I am a dog breeder and have tried everything! Similar to the above recipe, I use one part peroxide to 9 parts water in a spray bottle. After soaking up as much urine, I spray it with the solution, sprinkle baking soda on top and let it dry. The baking soda soaks up the urine and you vacuum it when dry.

By momto3girls