Homemade Cleaning Wipes

Rubber cleaning glove giving a thumbs up.
Cleaning wipes are a popular product to use for quick clean ups and disinfecting jobs. You can buy them, but they can be pricy, or make your own suitable for various jobs. This is a guide about homemade cleaning wipes.

For quick clean-ups I make these cleaner containers. They're fun, no mess, and OLDER kids (notice I stressed older because these cleaners are toxic if ingested) love to use them, too! They save money, time and waste. I taught this method to my employees at my Daycare Center to save costs. NOTE: Buy Ziplock or Glad disposable and reusable containers and a roll of "Select-A-Size" paper towels for this project.

For window cleaners, all-purpose cleaners, bleaching, de-grease cleaners:

For All Recipes:

Take about 30 paper towels and fold individually into squares. Place them into the container. Pour the bottle of cleaner using just enough to wet all the towels, but not saturating them. Seal the container.

When you're ready to clean, just remove a paper towel, wipe the area, then dispose of the towel.

Bleaching Cleaner

Add one part bleach to 4 parts water.

Furniture Polish

I pour Liquid Gold's furniture cleaner (the liquid soap kind) into the container with the paper towels.

Soap Cleaner

Use 1 part soap and 4 parts water for washing items with just soap. follow the paper towel and container instructions above.

Baby Wipes

For cleaning up messy children or dirty bottoms on babies I use a mild baby shampoo like Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo. Use 1 part shampoo to 4 parts of water. For just cleaning bottoms I add a bit of baby oil to the solution to help prevent diaper rashes, but don't add the oil if you're going to use the same wipes for other messy children clean-ups!

Snazzy Containers

If you would rather have a container that you can easily pull wipes out individually (like "Wet Ones") you can do this:

Take a roll of paper towels and cut the roll in half. Remove the inner cardboard core. Place one of the rolls in an empty cylinder-shaped baby wipe plastic container that has a "pull-out top". Pour in the cleaner. Then, pull out a towel from the center of the core and feed through the opening in the top of the container. This method will last you for a longer time and save you money in buying the plastic containers.

Non-Toxic Options

If you don't want to use toxic cleaners, there are cleaners out there that are non-toxic and safe for smaller children to use. Just be sure to read the label and directions carefully, because even though they may say "non toxic" they can still cause irritations.

FINAL WARNING:

Never allow any child to use any cleaner until you are sure they have no allergies to any of their ingredients! Before using wipes for messy children, test on a small area on their arm before using on any other part of their skin to make sure they aren't allergic to the ingredients in the solution.

Hope you enjoy my Easy Cleaner Uppers!

By Dyanna

Rather than making a big mess trying to cut a roll of paper towels in half as most instructions suggest, I took a tall container such as the "Club Mix" container from Costco. A regular-size roll of paper towels fits in this perfectly. Then fill it about a third full of plain, undiluted white vinegar. Let it sit for about three days and the roll of towels will soak up the vinegar and so will the inner cardboard. You will be able to easily pull out the wet cardboard and pull up the first towel from the inner part of the roll.

Source: Just a thought I had. I tried the "cutting the roll in half" idea and thought it was too messy.

This is a guide about homemade disinfectant cleaners. Rather than buying a commercial disinfectant cleaner, you can make one at home.

Homemade Disinfectant Cleaner Ingredients

Read More... Was this helpful? 1