Homemade Dill Pickles
I love dill pickles, especially in the summertime, but I like to be able to control how much sodium I take in. Give my recipe a try!
Source: My mother's original recipe
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 lb cucumbers
- 2 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 dried red chili
- 5 fresh flowered dill sprigs
- 2 Tbsp dill seeds
- 3 dried bay leaves
- Combine the vinegar, salt and sugar in a saucepan over high heat. Whisk until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the cold water. Refrigerate brine until ready to use.
- Stuff the cucumbers into two sterilized 1 quart jars. Add the remaining ingredients, dividing equally.
- Add the chilled brine to jars, dividing evenly. If necessary, add a bit of cold water to the jars until the brine covers the cucumbers.
- Secure top with a piece of plastic wrap, then screw on the lid. Keep in a cool area for a couple weeks.
- You can tell by the colour when it's ready to enjoy.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!