Making Homemade Pickles

Homemade pickles are an easy to make family favorite. This is a guide about making homemade pickles.

When you are done with the pickles in a jar (the cold variety), save the liquid. You can buy pickling cucumbers at the market, cut them up the way you like, and put back into the mix. In 3 or 4 days, you will have some good tasting new pickles. You can add more vinegar or hot pepper flakes if you want it a little more spicy.

By Ed from Cherry Valley, CA

I love dill pickles, especially in the summertime, but I like to be able to control how much sodium I take in. Give my recipe a try!

Source: My mother's original recipe

• 1 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 cups cold water
  • 2 lb cucumbers
  • 2 Tbsp coriander seeds
  • 6 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 2 dried red chili
  • 5 fresh flowered dill sprigs
  • 2 Tbsp dill seeds
  • 3 dried bay leaves

1. Combine the vinegar, salt and sugar in a saucepan over high heat. Whisk until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the cold water. Refrigerate brine until ready to use.
  2. Stuff the cucumbers into two sterilized 1 quart jars. Add the remaining ingredients, dividing equally.
  3. Add the chilled brine to jars, dividing evenly. If necessary, add a bit of cold water to the jars until the brine covers the cucumbers.
  4. Secure top with a piece of plastic wrap, then screw on the lid. Keep in a cool area for a couple weeks.
  5. You can tell by the colour when it's ready to enjoy.

My wonderful mother-in-law, Lavon, gave me two cucumbers from her garden. Forgetting these were not genetically mutated supermarket cucumbers, I put them in the crisper drawer and forgot about them for a couple days.

Very easy to make, refreshing to eat and pairs perfectly as a side dish to your main meal.

A simple pickle recipe that is refrigerated instead of sealed and stored by canning. This is a guide about sweet and sour refrigerator pickles.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making refrigerator dill pickles. A great way to preserve your garden's bounty through the winter.

This is a guide about making sunshine dill pickles. Sunshine pickles are actually processed by placing the jars in the sun for a number of days.

This page contains sweet pickle recipes. When cucumbers are ripe the best way to preserve them is pickling.

This page contains dill pickle recipes. When the huge harvest of cucumbers comes in, make your own dill pickles.

What do you add to canning pickles to stop them from getting mushy? Also, does anyone have a recipe to can pickles using less salt? Hope someone can help. I canned a batch of pickles last year following a recipe. The taste was great, but they were all mushy inside.

By Marie from Lakeland, FL

Answers

My mother made several different types of pickles for many years and never had any problems with them. I also used the same recipes and made pickles for many years and always had really good luck with them. I wonder if it depends on the recipe, because my former mother-in-law never made really good pickles, using her family recipes.

It is pickle season! Please post or send in recipes for any kind of pickles from cucumbers to tomatoes. This brainstorm was sent in by Harlean (from Arkansas)

Answers

I keep these in my refrigerator all the time. We love them.

2 regular cucumbers
1 large bell pepper (red optional), seeded and cut into
1/2 inch-wide strips
1 medium-size onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon salt

2 teaspoons dill seeds
3/4 cup sugar (for diabetics, use 3/4 cup splenda)
1/2 cup white wine vinegar

Wash cucumbers well, but do not peel. Cut off and discard ends; cut cucumbers crosswise into 1/3 inch-thick slices. You should have about 6 cups.

In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, bell pepper and onion. Sprinkle in salt and dill seeds; stir well. Let stand, uncovered, for 1 to 2 hours; stir occasionally.

Stir together sugar and vinegar until sugar is dissolved, then pour over vegetables and mix gently. Spoon into glass or ceramic containers.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 day or up to 3 weeks.

Makes about 3 quarts.

- Judy from Florida

Festive Cinnamon Pickle Rings

Peel 15 large cucumbers (a good way to use up those that are large and seedy). Slice 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and remove seeds. A spoon works well for this step. Place cucumber slices in a crock. Mix together 8 1/2 quarts of water and 2 cups of pickling lime. Pour over cucumbers to cover. Let set for 24 hours. Drain and wash in cold water. Cover with fresh cold water and let stand for 3 hours. Drain.

Place in large pan and add 1 cup vinegar, 3 cups water, 1 Tablespoon alum and 1 bottle red or green food coloring. Heat and simmer for two hours.Do not let them boil. If they reach the boiling point, lower the heat until the bubbles almost stop. Drain and return to the crock.

Mix together and bring to a boil: 2 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, 10 cups sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of oil of cinnamon. When mixture is boiling, pour over rings in the crock. Cover and let stand for 24 hours. Drain syrup into pan and reheat to boiling. Pour back over rings and cover. Repeat for 3 more days. On the last day, while your syrup is reheating, place the pickle rings into sterilized jars. When syrup is boiling, pour over pickles in jars and seal. This is a delicious pretty pickle for the Christmas holidays or for any meal. And even people who don't like pickles will like these. They are very crisp and crunchy.

- Harlean from Arkansas

Fiery Pickled Onions

malt vinegar
peppercorns
an inch or two of peeled and crushed root ginger
dried chilis
coriander seeds
mustard seeds
a few cloves (and/or any other whole spices that take your fancy)
small onions or shallots
salt

instructions:

Put the vinegar and spices into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for five minutes - no longer, otherwise the vinegar will evaporate. Take the saucepan off the heat and leave it, covered, to cool down. (I leave it overnight.)

Peel the onions and place them in a colander, sprinkling each layer generously with salt. Leave them overnight - stand the colander in the sink so that the water and salt can drain away.

Strain the vinegar to remove the spices.

Pack the drained onions into clean jars and pour in enough of the spiced vinegar to cover them. You can put one or two of the chilis in the jar with the onions if you like them VERY fiery!

Seal and label the jars of onions.

Put any remaining vinegar into a sealed bottle and keep it for making chutney or for the next batch of onions!

Store the jars of onions in a cool dark place and DO NOT EAT UNTIL CHRISTMAS! (Or for at least four weeks.)

I haven't given any quantities for the ingredients, because it depends on how fiery/spicy you like your pickles and how big your batch of onions is. As a guide, for two litres of vinegar I'd use about two inches of ginger, thirty or so peppercorns, two tablespoons of coriander seeds, six or seven cloves, five or six small nuclear-power chilis, two tablespoons of mustard seeds... you can also pickle onions without the spices, but you must still boil the vinegar otherwise the pickle will go off.

You can use hot vinegar to pickle onions, but this makes the onions go soft. I prefer them pickled cold and crisp!

- Russ

Thoroughly wash and salt 1/2 pound of fresh ginger root. Let it stand for a day, then wash again and place in a marinade made of 1 cup rice vinegar, 7 Tbs. water, and 2 1/2 tsp. Sugar.

Allow the ginger to marinate for 1 week. It will turn pink. Drained, covered and refrigerated. It will keep for months. It is sliced thin to be served with sushi.

I've tried and it works pretty well. Enjoy

Mike
- - -

Drain:
2 1/2 cups cooked or canned beets

Reserve the juice. Slice the beets. Place them in a fruit jar.

Boil:

1/2 cup sharp vinegar
1/2 cup beet juice

Add and heat to boiling:

2 Tablespoons sugar
2 cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 peppercorns
1/4 bay leaf
(1 sliced green pepper)
(1 small sliced onion)
1/2 teaspoon horseradish)

Pour these ingredients over the beets. Cover the far. Serve the beets very cold.

This recipe came from my copy of Joy of Cooking, and I hope it meets your needs.
- Emilie

i am looking for the plumping pickle recipe

My son likes the baby pickled corn - but it's kinda high - so I thought I'd pull one over on him & got a can of plain baby corn from the ethnic isle at the store & put them in the pickling in the same jar - it sat a few days (good thing - it's better that way!) & when he got them out & tried them he didn't realize or seem to - the difference !
I've seen my spouse make pickled eggs & also he cuts wieners up & pickles them too !
I don't have the recipie - sorry
& I like pickled garlic --
but I have never made any of it - so a "how to" would be apprieciated on any of the above !

By Janis in Michigan (Guest Post)

I am looking for a green pepper pickle called Slippery Jack Pickles. It also has cucumbers and onions and are sweet.

By Lynette from Missouri (Guest Post)

I am desperately looking for a chunk pickle recipe that we lost in a move. It has cinnamon (not sticks), sugar, vinegar and I remember cutting in big chunks. No food coloring either. This is a recipe my husbands mom used and made just for him. Any help would be appreciated.

I am looking for pickle recipes. I'm growing cucumbers in my garden for first time this year and am very excited about being able to make pickles! I have heard it is difficult to get a crunchy good tasting pickle, so if anyone has any recipes please send them my way! Thank you in advance!

By Mama's cookin from Highland, IL

I have a question about making dill pickles. Some of my jars stay real clear while others get this milky substance on the bottom of the jars. Is this just fermentation and is is safe to eat them?

Answers

By cindy in texas (Guest Post)

I checked with my Kerr Home Canning Book. It said " This occurs in dills which have gone though a mild fermentation and the white sedement is due to bacteria that caused the fermention. The sediment is not harmful and will in no way affect the pickles."

My cucumbers have a bitter skin on them. Can I still use them to make pickles?

By Donna from Allentown, PA

I need some good simple pickle recipes. Thanks.

By Tina Louise Labor from South Ryegate, VT

I am looking for a recipe for half sour pickles.

By Amy J Remillard from Worcester, MA

Why should cucumbers be soaked in water overnight before making them into pickles?

By Katherine

Answers:

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

I've never made pickles that the cukes had to be soaked overnight before making the pickles. I have always used the recipes that my mother used. (04/15/2010)

By Joan

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

Salt plays many roles in pickling: It enhances the taste by removing raw flavors; deters bacteria; and extracts water from the vegetables, which not only keeps the vegetables crisp, but also keeps the water from seeping out later and diluting the preservative effect of the vinegar. (from: http://www.ou.org/shabbat/recipes/vayigash62.htm) (04/15/2010)

By susan

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

I've never heard of soaking them. I've make dills B&Bs, and relishes, but all I did is chop and salt it and let it sit awhile to draw the water out. Then it'll take on more flavor when you make your pickles or whatever. (04/16/2010)

By Laura Brown

I planted a bunch of regular cucumbers, not realizing you might need to use only pickling cucumbers for making pickles. Can I use regular cucumbers and just pick them when they are pickle sized?

By john maire from Canby, OR

Answers:

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

My mother never planted specific cucumbers for making pickles. All you have to do is pick them when they are the size you want the pickles to be. For some pickles, you slice the cucumbers either cross ways or length ways, and for them it wouldn't matter. (06/30/2009)

By Joan

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

Some of mine that I just did were big. I just took some of the seeds. I do Mrs Wage's pickles. They are sweet pickles. (06/30/2009)

By judytwo

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

I have tons of really old pickle recipes that my grandma used to make. Just let me know if you like sweet, spicy, dill, or bread and butter pickles. I also have a recipe for refrigerator pickles that is so easy. They are all to die for. (06/30/2009)

By Laura

For those of you that can and make pickles I have a question. I never seem to be able to harvest enough cucumbers in one day to make a pack of dill pickles. Can I save them up in the fridge until I have enough?

Most recipes seem to call for cucumbers picked that day. Also, does anyone have a really good recipe for "crunchy" dill pickles? Years ago I made some from my aunt's recipe and it seemed like they weren't processed in a water bath like all the recipes I now see, and they were very crunchy. They were soaked in ice water over night.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may have.

Leanne

Answers:

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

I make hamburger dill slices and bread and butter pickles every year and I don't have enough cukes for a regular recipe at a time either. I use a pickle mix called Mr. Wage's. What I do is make the brine as directed, put it in the fridge and as I get cukes the size I want I clean them slice them and drop them in the big jar. Every day or so I keep preparing them and drop them in. I use big gallon sized glass jars. I never process these in a water bath, they stay in the fridge all the time till they are used. Later in the year I divide the big jar up into smaller ones (jelly jars, peanut butter, etc), making sure I have brine to cover the slices. Then I make Christmasy cloth lid covers and give them as gifts. Everyone likes the pickles. I have picked real small cukes, about 2 inches long and put them in the brine, too and they all come out good. (07/10/2005)

By suzq

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

Thats funny that suzq said what she said. I have bought cucumbers at the grocery and realized I wouldn't use them. I cleaned them and just put them in the brine from the store bought pickles I already had in the fridge. They have been great. I forgot all about doing that. (07/11/2005)

By sandy

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

I have the recipe that you want. Here it is:

Six pounds medium cucumbers ( each cut in 4 to 8 pieces according to size of cucumbers). Soak in ice water 3 hours, drain. Pack into sterilized jars. Add 6 pickling onions, 1 piece celery and 1 teaspoon mustard seed to each jar.

Solution:

Bring to boil, pour over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of top of jar. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes. This is a very salty sour pickle. Yield: 6 quarts.

Got this out of the Kerr Canning book.
Hope it helps. (07/30/2005)

By Sheila

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

For the most part, pickles refer to pickled cucumbers. You can pickle a lot of different vegetables, but normally in the U.S. this is so. If it was other than a cucumber it is usually followed by that vegetable as in "pickled onions" or "pickled beets". So they are the same and are different.

After you soak cucumbers in a brine for a month or so, they change, become preserved and become what we call "pickles". Hope this explains it.
Susan from ThriftyFun

(08/09/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

If you aren't going to refrigerate your pickles after they turn into pickles you "must" put them through a boiling water bath. There are two ways to make pickles: fermentation before the boiling water bath, and fermentation after the boiling water bath. I prefer to just go ahead and process them into my mason jars (boiling water bath) and shelve them. (01/23/2006)

By Jeannie

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

Grandma's Dill Pickles

Cucumbers, 3 - 4 inches long are best for pickles. Wash, prick with a fork, and soak overnight, in ice water. Drain and dry thoroughly. Place 2-3 peeled garlic cloves in the bottom, and a generous helping of fresh dill (one or two whole, clean, tall dill, folded to fit) along the side of clean, hot, sterile jars. Pack cucumbers in jars and place more dill on top.

Brine mixture:

Bring to a boil and pour into cucumber filled, sterile jars, while hot. Seal and let stand in a cool, dark place about 6 weeks before opening. Yields sufficient brine for 4 to 5 quarts of cucumbers.

Note: A bushel of cucumbers will yield approximately 48 quarts of pickles.
(08/26/2007)

By LadyQ

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

Use pickle juice from other pickles. Put the cucumbers in the jar and then leave for three weeks then they are done. My grandmothers recipe. (07/26/2008)

By Taylor