Frosting and IcingCakes

Homemade Edible Food Paint

Vote for this contest contender!

Over the summer, I had to make 3 cakes from scratch for my family members' special days. The trouble was we were overseas and finding cake supplies was not as easy as it is in California. Not only did I want to make my father-in-law a gradient blue cake to look like the sea, my sister-in-law wanted me to paint her husband's birthday cake to look like one of his favourite watercolour paintings (eek!), so I had to make some edible food paint, fast! This is how to make edible food paint with two ingredients.

1. Mix the vodka and food colour gel in a small stain-resistant bowl, adding more colouring or vodka as needed until colour reaches desired concentration. You can use a brush with vodka alone to help blend colours. To achieve all the colours of the rainbow, I blended all my primary colour gels in several little bowls with the vodka.
  2. Ad

3. I use water to stick fondant pieces together, but I brush on a bit of vodka to add a nice finished sheen. It also keeps my painted fondant from cracking. It took me a while to mold this fondant sailboat, so it kept drying out and looking unpleasantly vintage. I brushed it with vodka and it looked brand new. Don't worry about getting drunk! The alcohol will evaporate as the paint dries and will be gone by the time they are eaten. The same goes for the taste.
  4. Ad