Homemade Glumpkies(Stuffed Cabbage)

This old recipe is one we grew up on. My mom made these and they bring back such fond yummy memories!

1. Put on a pot of water, salted and bring to a boil.
  2. Meanwhile core out the middle of the cabbage, start pulling apart the loosened leaves and drop into the boiling water. Watch closely. As they get a bit soggy, using tongs, pull out the cooked ones and put them in a bowl and keep adding more to the pot. When the cabbage is all cooked, let it cool in the bowl.
  3. Using a deep skillet, start with ground beef, breaking down and cook adding the chopped vegetables. Stirring well. Add the water and seasonings. Let simmer covered on low heat.
  4. Add water to the meat mixture, bring to a boil and add rice or rice pilaf. Stir well, cover, on low heat until mixture is absorbed
  5. Put tomatoes in a blender, add a few spices and Parmesan cheese, pour into a bowl with a lip.
  6. Using a glass square baking dish, pour enough tomato sauce in the dish to cover the bottom.
  7. Take a large cabbage leaf, open it up, put a large spoonful of meat and rice mix in the middle of the the leaf, then fold down the back of the leaf, tucking in the sides and wrap it up towards you and place it in the dish. Continue until you have no more meat mixture. Mine made 12 rolls.
  8. Now pour the sauce over the rolls
  9. Put the dish on a pan and put it in a 350 degree F oven for about 30 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top!

That looks so good! I'll have to try it.

Yes, try them, you will love them. You can put what you want in the filling, rice pilaf, rice a roni, or just white rice and season it yourself. These kinds of recipes, you just make with whatever you have in the house!
Thank you for commenting! So appreciated!

My mom used to make these. Thanks for the memories!

Thank you for commenting. I and my family love these. Now today, I had a few leftovers, I cut them up, put them in a pot, added vegetable broth and a handful of spinach and just a bit of seasoning, and now I have "Stuffed Pepper Soup! I do this quite often with leftovers!
Thanks again!

🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-GlumpkiesStuffed-Cabbage.html