Homemade Kite Ideas

Category Toys
Spring is a perfect time for kite flying. You don't have to spend a lot and buy one when it is possible to make one at home with either materials you already have, such as plastic bags, or with the purchase of a few inexpensive ones. Learn how here.

It's a windy weekend, just perfect for flying a kite that my son has long been asking for. I have nothing in my pocket to buy those colorful kites in the store, but I have a brilliant idea on how to make it which I learned from my childhood.

• plastic bag
  • transparent tape
  • scissors
  • thread and needle
  • skewers or bamboo sticks

1. Cut the handles off the bag and cut it open.
  2. Advertisement

3. Fold it diagonally to form a triangular shape.
  4. Cut it out. As you see it created a diamond shape.
  5. Tie two to three sticks together to make a long stick. The length is based on height of the diamond.
  6. Make two of these.
  7. Stick them together in different positions to form a cross. Use a tape to secure. Or it is best if you use thin rubber bands.
  8. Advertisement

9. Place it onto the diamond plastic.
  10. Stick the tips of the sticks onto the corners of the plastic.
  11. Flip the kite. Sew three inches below the center of the sticks with the plastic.
  12. Then pull the thread up and sew it on the center and lock. Now you have something like a thread handle.
  13. Tie a long piece of thread onto that handle.
  14. Advertisement

15. Tie the other side/tip onto a piece of stick.
  16. Use the plastic bag trimmings to cut strips.
  17. Stick the strips onto the tips of the kite.
  18. Your kite is now ready to fly!

Note: This kite is only for kids. It doesn't fly very high like what adults and professionals make. But this can be improved by using thicker plastic and bigger sticks so it flies higher.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Links

You can make a kite with just about any piece of thin plastic, some tape and thin dowels. The site below has nice instructions for building a simple kite.

Link: https://www.thinkingfountain.org/k/kites/kites.html

Nice site for kite plans and instructions.

(2/27/20 - I pulled this link off the internet archive to preserve the information. Some links may no longer work.)

Link: https://web.archive.org/web/20110103001408/http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/~anthony/kites/

Crafts ToysFebruary 27, 2020
🌻
🐰
🍀