Homemade Mattress Ideas

Category Furniture
Mattress are very expensive to buy. You may be able to save money by making something yourself. This is a guide about homemade mattress ideas.

I'm looking for inexpensive ideas on creating a mattress to sleep on. I can't believe there is so much labor and materials in a good mattress that they have to charge the ridiculous prices I see in stores nowadays.

Chuck from Pleasanton, CA

Answers

I have no idea how you'd go about making a mattress yourself and yes I agree that they are expensive. We need a new one ourselves and I cringe at the cost but considering how long they last....or atleast a good one lasts a long time I suppose it is money well spent. You get what you pay for I suppose. You can buy a cheap one and have backaches and be replacing it in a few years. I suppose what you could do is buy a blow up mattress and put on top of your box springs. Those do not cost a lot of money. I can't imagine trying to make a mattress yourself and what a homemade mattress would be like to sleep on. Sorry, I know I am not really giving you any help. Perhaps someone will have an idea tho. Good luck!

Ever checked out the garage sales, newspaper ads, salvation army ect.? Unless you have to get it brand new - you might find a good deal. Especially when people have to move - alot of the time it is easier and less expensive to sell cheap than storage and moving it.

Go to Freecycle.com and look for your area. Lots of people give things away. You can post.
Good luck

My husband and I recently got rid of a 23 year old king sized mattress. We are sleeping on 2 single air mattresses which fit perfectly on the boxspring. Using twin bottom sheets, king top sheet and blanket, they are very comfortable. I can have mine softer, and he can have his "concrete slab." The air mattresses were on sale at Walmart for $25 each. We already had the bedding. $50 beats the cost of a new king sized mattress.

You may also have luck getting one on freecycle.com.