Homemade Seed Tapes

I've made seed tapes by mixing a little flour and water together, painting it onto paper towels, and sprinkling the seeds on. They stick to the flour and water and the paper towel rots away in the ground.

By Marna Goodyear from central CT

About two weeks ago, a gardening tip on here talked about cutting toilet paper into strips and gluing seeds onto the strips. I found it hard to cut into strips. What I did was I rolled the paper out the length of my table. Keeping in rows along the length nine to a square then let it dry. Roll it up and then cut it into strips. It worked out well for me. thanks for the idea.

Source: ThriftyFun

By Laura Lynn Jump from Ocala, FL

I did the same thing in my garden. The radishes and lettuce, fennel and Chinese cabbage have sprouted fine but the spinach did not do well nor did the carrots.

But the weather has been unseasonably cool also which might be affecting germination.

What kind of glue do you use? This is a great idea for those really small seeds that you can't seem to get in the ground right.

I too am interested in knowing the type of glue you used! I just paid $3.00 for two strips of radishes!

Seems to me it'd have to be some sort of water-based glue. When watered, it would soften and break down. Something like Elmer's, perhaps?