Homemade Soft Flatbread Recipe
This flatbread is reminiscent of Indian naan, a perfect accompaniment to a curry or soup. This page has a recipe for homemade soft flatbread
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a recipe on how to make a naan-like flatbread that will stay soft for days. The secret to the softness is using a bit of mashed banana. Don't worry, you won't taste the banana! There are only a handful of ingredients and you can make it in a pan. No yeast, no fuss. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes and 30 minutes rest time
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 48 minutes
Yield: 8 flatbreads
- 1/3 to 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, canola oil, or ghee plus some more for frying
- In a large bowl, mash the banana with a fork.
- Add the milk, salt and oil. Mix well.
- Add the flour and mix into dough.
- If the dough sticks to the sides of a bowl, sprinkle on a bit more flour and knead with your hands until it's no longer sticky. Cover with plastic wrap or a plate. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove covering and knead once more. Divide into eight equal balls.
- Sprinkle a work surface and rolling pin with flour.
- Roll dough into flatbreads. You can make them as thick or thin as you want. Leaving them thicker will make them doughier and puffier when you cook them.
- Add a bit of oil to a pan on medium high heat and throw on a piece of rolled dough.
- Cook for 10 to 20 seconds and flip to cook the other side. You will be able to tell when they're done when you see the brown spots and bread no longer looks doughy.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.