House TrainingDogs

House Training a Neglected Adult Dog

I have just been bought a Dachshund; she is 2 years old and has been in a cage for most of her life. She is quite timid, but is getting better. But she will not go to the toilet outside. I take her out every morning for a walk and evenings after her food, but she will not go to the toilet. Then as soon as I fetch her home she runs upstairs and wees and poos on my bedroom carpet. How can I train her? I have only had her for 2 days and need to stop this.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

I wish you could train her in just two days but you might consider that this is a pretty unrealistic goal.

Crate training is one of the most effective and humane methods for training a dog, and it is applicable at any age: "Crate training takes advantage of your dog's natural instincts as a den animal. A wild dog's den is their homea place to sleep, hide from danger and raise a family. The crate becomes your dog's den, where they can find comfort and solitude while you know theyre safe and secure (and not shredding your house while you're out running errands)."

http://www.huma … /www.google.com/

However, since this dog's trauma has to do with hgaving been TOO MUCH in a crate, you might consider how to train her WITHOUT A CRATE: "You can housebreak a puppy without using a crate. Simply establish a feeding and potty-break schedule to teach your puppy a routine, and give him hearty praise every time he does his business in the right spot. Some dogs take longer than others to housebreak, so remain patient"

http://pets.the … -crate-5175.html