House Training an Adult Dog

When adult dogs are adopted, rescued, or moved into the house they often need to be house trained. This is a guide about house training an adult dog.

I have a dog that is almost 2 years old and is still not fully house trained. I'm open to any suggestions. Can anyone help?

Tammi from Swanzey, NH

Answers

I'm gonna keep an eye on this topic for some hints as I have the same problem with a male Chiquaqua I adopted from a shelter. They think he is about 18 months old. All I get done is clean up floor and furniture. I let him outside very often (when there's no snow out).

I will be watching for the answer too. I have two min pins. Create them at night. First thing in the am I let them out, watch that they do their business. I let them back in, feed and water them. Once they are finished eating I actually set a timer for 20 minutes. I pick up the food and let them out again. Once they are back inside all I can do is watch their every move. Every time they wake up or roam to another room, I let them out.

Come 5 p.m. I feed them again and do the same routine as in the am. Set the timer, let them out, pick up the food. For the next few hours I once again monitor them. Come about 10 pm I let them out one last time. When they come in I create them for the night. However I feel like I am the one getting trained. Because they will go inside if I do not catch them.

My mother has a chi that hates winter and snow. But this dog will go to the back door and bark when she wants out. AND she does NOT have accidents. My mother did less than I am doing now when she got her. Never picked up the food, let her out about 4 times a day. And this was her reward :) There has to be an easier way? I love my dogs. But like I said there has to be a way so that I am not constantly watching their every move. So if anyone has any magic tricks. I sure would love to hear them. Good luck with your dogs also. Thanks in advance. Have a great day.

Start the 'crate training' process with the dog, just like what you do with a puppy. Just google ' crate training dog' and they should give you all the steps you need to begin this. It works with any age dog, any size.

Crate training is the best!

Can't argue with shubunny and junebug -- crate training has saved my home and my sanity!

Just letting the dog out is NOT enough exercise for your dog; no matter what size your yard is. The same goes for small dogs.

Crating is very helpful BUT only when used in conjunction with a very consistent schedule of feeding and LONG, BRISK walks.

I've taken in many rescue dogs in bad shape and the crate is an interim tool only. After a few weeks, you should be able to leave the door open and let the dog use the crate as a den if it is large enough.

If it takes longer; you need to adjust what you're doing with the walks/feeding schedules until it does work.

How do you know if the walk is long enough? Your heart rate should go up a bit AND the dog will probably have to poop at least once along the way. If he doesn't; keep on walking until he has to go. You'll learn what you need to do quickly if you pay attention.

It will become like clockwork. You'll be able to bet on how far you have to walk before he goes without fail.

Ideally do a long walk (at least 25-45 mins) every morning at the same time. If you need to take your coffee with you; that's what you need to do. The dog will probably go within 5-10 mins but they (and you) need the exercise.

You can NOT train a dog to "be good" with less exercise. They need it and the more they get, the better their behavior will be.

Sorry if you like to sleep in on certain days. You need to be consistent. Do the same in the evening after the dog eats.

Your dog needs to have some snacks during the day in addition to the main evening meal. Plan them accordingly with your walks.

At night, cut the water a little bit when it gets late. Always keep ample water out during the day and give fresh water frequently.

If you drank a Super Big Gulp before bed; you'd have to pee at least once during the night too. :)

I've found that most dogs respond very, very quickly to a consistent schedule and the long, brisk walks; no matter what the age or background.

Good luck and remember...if it doesn;t work; YOU need to change what you're doing until it does work. With prolonged training problems; it's usually that the dog has trained you instead of you training the dog.

Most dogs don't get enough exercise resulting in all sorts of neurotic dog behavior.
Ok, Tammi from Swanzey, NH~
If you are still having a problem potty training your dog after exercising him properly and the vet says there is no medical reason for it- seek professional help from a trainer ~ Good luck!

I could give you all kinds of advice but really it would all be re-hashed from things I have learned from Dr. Patricia McConnell on Wisconsin Public Radio. She's fantastic! http://www.wpr.org/pets/

Hi guys - firstly - you cannot punish a dog for a 'boo boo' unless you actually catch them in the act. If you find poos or wees - just let it go and clean them up.
Secondly, if you catch you dog in the act, quickly grab them and drag them outside (even if this leaves a trail of mess behind and then whilst they finish their business outside - praise praise praise - use a high toned tome of voice.
Thirdly, most dogs will need to go within about 20 mins of their last meal. So, time it, take them outside and tell them to 'wee' or 'go'. Wait and be patient and when they go - again praise praise.
Dogs do not understand getting in trouble after the fact. Dogs do understand instant praise!-

And remember - patience!

I keep both my dogs inside (uncrated) while I am at work. I have just got a 10month old rescue dog and it took me about 6 weeks to get him to 'wait' until I got home to do his business. It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a new little one at our house and also one we have had for about 4 yrs now. I found the best way is give a small little treat when they go outside an with a lot of telling how big of a girl she is getting to be just like her big sister. That only took a very few times an that work like a charm.

I know what you mean I have two min pins - one is 6 yrs old she is no prob, but the male I inherited from my son who is in college, he is 4 yrs old. I just can't seem to get through to him. I have tried the crate it worked a few nites and then he started going in it. I feel like I need eyes in the back of my head- I have never caught him in the act. I am wondering if it is to late now, because he thinks doing his business in the house is normal I guess. I am really getting frustated. Any advice please holler bsck. White_Diamonds7(at)grnco(dot)net GOOG LUCK ALL! :)

I got a Shepherd/Husky mix from a breeder at 7 months of age. They told me she was crate trained, but in reality I came to find out she was "pen" trained. I have attempted to crate train as I did with my other dog before her, but it is not working. She has accidents every day when she is not crated. Should I re-crate train her as if she was a small puppy meaning keeping her in the crate 24/7 except when it is time to eat and take her out? I know she can hold it because I crate her all night while we sleep and I also know she knows it is wrong to poop and pee in the house. I've tried everything, the bell on the door, the doors closed, her attached to me, but to no avail, she will be great all day and then when not attached to me and not crated she eventually goes somewhere in my house and I'm so done! I really love her, but do not know what to do. Please help!

By Maggie

Answers

It really sounds like you're doing a very good job and you're working really hard. You may want to try simply putting her in the crate when you're feeding. After you feed her, put her in there for 30 minutes to an hour and then and then take her directly out for a walk or to where you want her to potty at. Retraining her you may want to use treats or her favorite toy for an incentive when she does.

Try changing her food and go back to crate training to house train as you would with a puppy. Here is a link from leerburg.com that may be of help to you.

Questions and answers:
http://leerburg  php?categoryid=3

Categories:
http://leerburg  qna_category.php

Youtube.com
http://youtu.be/kZHk_7N_AXY

Hope these help you in your dog training.

Blessings, Robyn from Tennessee

We are having trouble house training a 12 month old St. Bernard. When I first got her, at 5 weeks, my wife told me she was not "weaned" by her mother. She rolled in her own urine and feces, and it took me 8 months to finally get her to stop. When I leave her alone, or leave the house, she jumps on the couches and goes number 2. We haven't had an accident for months. Last night I took her out before I went to bed and not even an hour later I heard her urinating in her cage. I took her out immediately and cleaned her cage. She has done it 5 times since then and also goes outside. My question is, could it be medical or her in need of intense training?

By Jarrod A.

My Jack Russel was crate trained from 8 weeks until one year, then I moved and she has a porch with a basket/bed and a door constantly open to the garden so she can do her business whenever. She mainly does do it outside, but sometimes for example when it rains she poos inside and she knows she's done wrong, but still continues to do it! What can I do?

By Amelie

Answers

Hello,
Dogs are very sensitive to Rain. The sound is multiplied by almost 100. Sometimes the sound is very annoying and hurts their ears, yes, this is true, you can look it up. Also, make sure there is not a medical problem causing your fur baby to do this in the house. Good luck

I have a 3 year old Maltlipoo dog and she was never really trained to go out. I thought I had her trained and then I found she was peeing on my carpet in the living room. What can I do?

By Dee from Farmington Hill, MI

Answers

I like Leerburgs answer and explanation on potty training issues.

Here is the link for that:

http://leerburg.com/housebrk.htm

The short answer is I would backtrack to not giving the dog the run of the house until he is better at not going on the carpet. Enzymatic cleaners will take the smell out and I would take up the water a couple or hours before bedtime or only offer a small amount.

Do you have a crate at all? Clicker training to go into a crate is fun:

http://youtu.be/q4KWqIA3BZA

Here is another link:

http://www.wiki  -Dog-in-Ten-Days

Sometimes I think the smaller dogs are having problems because their bladders are too small. Also a kidney infection could be causing this behavior. Cheap food and food with too many by products and such can cause this also besides other causes. Peeing can also be a way to dump toxins as in food with wheat, corn or soy. Try one of the foods on the market like Rachel Rays foods or the ones from Diamond that have no corn wheat or soy.

Be sure to take the dog to the vet to rule out an infection and then you can backtrack to the last successful step the dog did. This might involve changing the food to a better quality food, and taking up the water at night and trying to make going out a happy event with clicker training or rewards of treats.

http://youtu.be/RFvV0DVdg7o

Also the more jobs you give your little dog, such as sitting up for a treat, not from the store but a piece of ot dog each day, the better they will be at learning other things.

Hand targeting is a wonderful trick to learn.

http://www.aspc  g-to-hand-target

Blessings and look at this as a way to start spending more happy times together rather than just training times.

Blessings,

Robyn

My husband and I have a 2 year old Pug. She will go out to use the bathroom or she will at least sit out there and wait until she comes in to poop on the floor, not even 30 minutes later. We've had a trainer come in, but it didn't help. We've tried praising her when she does go outside, but that doesn't work either. I don't know what else to do.

My Pit Bull is 4 years old and is sometimes still going pee and poop in the house. If I don't lock her in the bedroom at night she goes potty in the living room. If we're out of the house for more than 10 hours she goes. I have an older Rot/Lab who can hold his bladder for 24 hrs if needed so I know she could hold it if she really needs to. We've tried three cages, but none of them have held up to her strength. She eventually finds a way to destroy them. Also she would immediately pee as soon as we took her out of it while still in the house.

Also she has behavioral problems around other people and dogs and whenever I think she's getting better she goes back to her old ways. Last night she broke out of our room and pulled our crock pot off the counter and shattered it. My boyfriend then locked her back in the room and she peed right there. She's never peed in our bedroom before. Half the time it feels like revenge, but I don't know. Please help with no accusatory comments. I'm trying to learn to be a better fur mom, but I'm having financial trouble this year so training would be very hard to afford.

I adopted a 4 yr old Chihuahua. He was never house broken. I take him outside a lot and we will walk. He just seems to sniff and mark here and there. Then when we are home he will poop and pee in the house. It's like he refuses to go outside. If we don't walk he just stands there. I am not sure what to do anymore. Plus I live in Wisconsin so winter will be here and I'm worried he really won't go outside. Please help.

We adopted my three year old Lab over a year and a half ago. She has always peed in the house. We gave it time, took her to the vet to make sure that there isn't something medically wrong with her, and even tried calm me down meds. It isn't when we leave for work or anything, it's any time we pet her or touch her and it's through out our entire house. I really don't want to take her back to the shelter, but that's what it is coming to if I can't figure out what to do to make her stop. Even if we just let her outside and watch her go to the bathroom then pet her when she comes inside she still pees. We just put all new flooring throughout our house and my husband and I are both simply fed up. Can anyone help us?

I hope that my questions can be answered. Recently I moved into a new place and my 2 dogs have been acting up when it comes to potty training. My Yorkie (3 years old) has recently started to wee against my couches, something he has never done, and my Toy Pom (1.5 years) leaves me a surprise every morning with out a doubt.

Someone told me they eat too late, so I started taking their food away at about 17:30 and water also, then first thing in the morning, at about 06:00 I give them a bowl full again. But still I get the surprises in the morning. Today I have started walking with them when I came home, as someone told me this would help, but I am not too sure.

Can someone please give some advise, I don't want to lose them and also don't want to let them stay outside, but my new place is going to turn into a smelly one.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

By Carli B from South Africa

Answers

This is a new and confusing place for them. You will have to house train them all over again! Confine them to one area and take them out often. When they stop "messing" in their area, give them a little more freedom. Be patient. Very cute dogs!

Repeat all the house training - one main meal a day - feed around 4.00 in the afternoon as they often poop after there main meal - don't let them nibble all day - the more food the more poo!

Take outside often - sleep them in a pen in the garage with newspaper on the floor. If they wee or poop over night then this is easy to clean up. Use a mixture of white vinegar, baking soda & water to clean up .

Their messes as disenfectant etc leaves an odour that may tempt the dogs to go back to that area. Be consistant & don't punish them with hitting - be patient - by the looks of it these dogs are well loved & beautiful & well worth your effort. Good luck.

Hi there! When animals are put into a new situation and place they have to mark their territories and establish boundaries. That is why they are going all over the place most likely. I have an 8 month old puppy who loved to go in the house. I had to crate train her.

At night and when we are not home she goes in her crate. We hated the idea at first, but it has seriously been the best decision we ever had. We tell her "Chewi, bedtime" and she runs into her crate and plops down.

The first thing we do in the morning is take her for a walk around the block and every time we get home we do the same. It is like a treat for her because she loves going on walks so much and it shows her she did a good job. She hated it for the first week but now we catch her sleeping in it even when we are home and she doesn't have to be in it. I know how much it sucks to have to clean up surprises in the morning and how smelly it can be. It's just an option but crate training worked really well for us! Hope it helps!! Good luck!

I rescued a Maltese mix, he is about 5 yrs old. We live in a house with a fenced backyard. We have other dogs, big dogs and small dogs. I am home all day and leave the door to the backyard open, unless it is very hot out or freezing out. All the other dogs go in and out when ever they need and so does he. But I still can't stop him from going to the bathroom in the house, he has even gone pee on my sister's bed. I don't know what to do. Please help.

My daughter has a 9 year old Shih Tzu. He pees in the house often. She has tried everything. Now they have a baby in the crawling stage and the ammonia in the pee is worrisome.
Please advise. Thanks.

My 7 year old Doxie has used puppy pads since a pup, but will not use them in our new home.

By Kathy H

I have a 4 year old Pit Bull/Mastiff mix who wakes me up at least 4 to 5 times a night. He is a big dog and I let him out regularly throughout the day. So why so much at night? Help! I need sleep. Am I over feeding and over watering him?

By Amber

Can I train my 3 year old dog without a clicker?

By Aichan from Caloocan, Phillipines

Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely adore my two dogs. Hendrix (who this post is about) is my little soulmate. We are really close, I give him lots of attention and love, but I don't spoil him. I ignore him when he's being naughty and he responds well. He's gotten a lot better over the past year, but Ive reached a wall in house-training him. I hope you guys can help!

Here's the story:

I've had my miniature Dachshund Hendrix since he was around 6 months old. He's now 3 years old.
When we first got him he was really nervous, and would run in insane circles (sometimes while peeing if we weren't home) all the time. We lived in a house with a garden when we got him, and he was outside with our other dog (fully house trained) when we were at work. Eventually we got a doggie door so they could go in and out. He got used to it and didn't really have accidents inside, although he was a pretty bad submissive pee-er for quite a while.

We moved to an apartment with a small garden, and started to walk them to go pee and poop as often as possible, but he refused for the better part of a year. It was hugely frustrating because we'd spend ages outside, then he'd go as soon as we got inside (in the garden). Once our other dog escaped from the garden (we got her back right away though thankfully!) and we decided to keep them inside when we weren't home. He started doing his business on the rug/floor - never waiting for us to get home even though we'd let him out in the morning and as soon as we got home and again in the evening.

Eventually he started peeing and pooping on walks, which was great, but he still did it at home when we weren't there, and sometimes if we didn't let him out fast enough.

We just moved again - this time to an apartment without a garden. Our schedule has changed so we leave around 7:15am and get back home around 3:30 or 4pm most days. We feed and walk the dogs in the morning, then go for walks as soon as we get home. We feed them their second meal in the evening and go for one or two more walks before bed.

Evey day when we get home in the afternoon he has peed a bunch of times (sometimes up to 6-8 times - I count the puddles) and pooped at least once or twice, but quite a lot each time. We leave wee pads and he does his business there (although of course he moves the pads around and it's still a bit of a mess), but he sometimes poops once there then again in the hall. He doesn't pee anywhere else though, which is good.

I know he's made a lot of progress, but it's driving me nuts because we have to clean pee and poop every single day. It's the same thing if we go out for an hour or two. If no one is home, he just has to pee and poop. I know for a fact that he can hold it because when I'm at home all day he can hold it from morning til afternoon - even later than the time we usually take him (sometimes he holds it from around 8am til 6 or 7pm). He also lets me know when he has to go out. The only issue is him doing it inside when we're not home. He and my other dog have a limited space, not the whole house, they have a Kong each, chews, their beds, and toys - and each other - so I don't know if he's just bored or has separation anxiety, but I really need to sort this problem out.

We have people house/dog sit for us when we go on vacation. The same couple has done it now twice - they love the dogs and the dogs love them, but the accidents drive everyone a bit nuts. We're traveling again in December so I'd love to have him properly house-trained by then if possible so we don't wear out our lovely friends. It's hard to find people who get on with the dogs so well and that we can trust when we're out of town!

Any help/advice would be great.

Additional info:
I haven't crate trained him. I know everyone says it's the best thing to do, but I don't think it'll work on him. If there aren't any pads put out for him he pees in his bed. I'm not completely against the idea, but probably as a last resort. I know he will bark all day, and crates are pretty hard to find for a decent price where I live :/
We've tried restricting their space, or giving them extra space - it doesn't make a difference.

When he poops/pees at home he does a lot more than when we walk him. He'll poop in the morning then twice when we're not home and again in the evening a bit. When we are home all day he only poops twice a day, maybe 3 times, but all in all the quantity is less. I don't get it. He also seems to pee wayyy more when we're not home compared to when we are home all day and take him out.

By ZS

I just adopted a 2 year old Min Pin from the animal shelter. They say that she is house broken, but she wants to use the bathroom in our house. How do we stop that?

By Tara

Answers

Everytime she has an accident, take her outside. Gather up the poop and bring it with you, put it on the ground. Say potty, or poop or whatever. If it's pee you can use a soaked paper towel to demonstrate the same thing. They need to associate the scent with outside. We got a dog who wasn't housebroken. That's what we did.

Try using pee pads for dogs. Place them in a spot near a door, preferably an outside door if possible. That might help and praise him/her when they use it.

How do I house train a 2 year old Brittany Spaniel that hunts and is crate trained? He is a good hunter and well disciplined otherwise.

By skip

Answers

Since he's an older dog I would try crate training him first. Dogs rarely want to "go" where they sleep. If that doesn't work you can buy puppy training pads or Petsmart also has these neat "grass patches" that dogs are attracted to and they will do their business on those patches and you just throw them out.
Hope this helps and Good Luck.

I would train him the same. Watch him like a hawk and figure out his sign that shows you he needs to go. Let him out frequently until you and he figure it out.

My husband and I have noticed that every day his dog has made a very large accident on the kitchen area rug. The dog is a Lhasa and has been doing this every day at different times. He said that Jumba (the dog) has been doing this for months now even before we were together. We just got married and the kids and I moved in over a month ago and he has a lot of attention, but still does it. He doesn't learn from his accident and only cowers if you try to punish him for it. We are frustrated and he is stinking up the house. What do we do? The vet says he is fine physically.

By javamom77 from Yorkton, Sk, Canada

Answers

Just a semi educated guess, but regardless of how well you have tried to clean such, I suspect your dog can still detect the smell of his own urine and recognizes that as an invitation to "re-cover." IMHO it is not productive to "punish" the dog for doing so as this is usually only an instinctive reaction to "re-mark" his own territory and not necessarily a statement of defiance against his people, especially since the dog has been allowed to so for some time and his vet has declared him physically fit.

My guess is that your husband was a bit more lenient with "accidents" than you are currently willing to be and the pooch just continued a bad habit. (No offense meant to anyone - take comfort in that expression that "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus" - we all get comfortable with seemingly routine, innocuous, behavior in some way shape or form!)

Again, I think it is non productive (and possibly cruel, depending on method of discipline) to "punish" the dog as he probably has no clue as to why he is now being punished more harshly than before you and your children moved in. Adapting to change is hard for all of us (humans, canines and felines alike) as new residents enter "the home base". All deserve a break and positive suggestions for readjustment.

I suggest you remove the area rug completely, thoroughly wash and disinfect the surface(s) beneath the area, and start over with a clean slate as the whole family works to help the dog learn the new rules of "no potty in the house for healthy, full grown dogs!" :-)

Unless the area rug is a family heirloom (in that case, have it professionally cleaned and use as a wall hanging) it's a small price to pay for the cohesiveness of a newly blended skin/fur family.

Sincerely wishing the best for all of you!

You have to have patience with a dog when his life gets changed so drastically! You and your kids moving in was a big change for the little dog! You need to try to understand and help the little dog adjust to the changes, in a positive way. I suggest you do some research on training dogs before you go any further! You don't punish a dog for something after the fact because he doesn't realize what he is in trouble for. It absolutely breaks my heart to think of this little guy cowering in a corner, with no clue why this stranger wants to punish him.

I would hate to hear how you "punish" the dog. It sounds like you're simply either not a dog person or just don't like this little dog. The dog was there first and deserves you to be nice to him! He wouldn't be cowering in a corner if he was being treated as he should! If you plan on living with the dog I also suggest you do research on positive training, when "punishing" a dog isn't part of the training!! Maybe try to find out exactly whats causing the problem and go from there. But have a heart and try to have some understanding for the poor little dog and STOP punishing him!! Take up the rug if it that important to you. I'll be praying for the little dog.

How can I housebreak a 2 year old beagle? I tried a crate but he soils in there.

Katie from Alexandria, VA

Answers

Hi there, please see my comment in this similar article.

http://www.thri  8344360.tip.html

How long are you leaving the dog in the kennel? Sounds like he/she is being left in the kennel too long. If it's longer than 3-4 hrs., it's too long.

My Min Pin, Rocky, is 2 1/2 years old. I got him when he was one, and the lady that had him first never trained him. No matter how often or for how long we walk him, he still insists on doing his business in the house, usually on a rug. I'm at my wits end! Also, he insists on barking at everything and everyone. Even if it's me coming in the door. Any help would be SO greatly appreciated!

Corrin from Chicago, IL

Answers

I have an 8 month old chihuahua/rat terrier mix. We got her when she was 4 months old and decided to go with crate training. It seemed to have worked at first, but then she gets to excited when it's time to go out and piddles on the floor. Then we decided, no excitement just open the door, and take her out. That seemed to work. Then when she would have accidents in the house, we would rub her face on it or give her smacks on her bottom and say NO! For the most part she has gotten it pretty well. But now, she is starting to go in her crate.

She is walked first thing in the morning. Fed, then walked again. Is in her cage, gets play time, then off to the dog walker she goes. When she comes home, she has already gone potty, then we feed her, let her play a bit, then take her out about 45 min later. then back in the house, play time, and she usually naps with our other dog which is totally potty trained. before bed (usually 10pm) she is walked again and the put in the crate, and the cycle starts all over again. when we arent going to be home for a few she is always taken out right before and then put in the crate and as soon as we come home take her back out again.

We just can't seem to put our finger on it as to when she is in fact peeing in her cage. Any suggestion in how to get her to be 100% outside potty trained like the our other dog? We are moving to a new place shortly and are afraid that she will be going everywhere and there are hardwood floors! PLEASE HELP!

I rescued a 2 year old Pitty mix who has had only a shelter life. Of course he has issues; not leash trained, we're using a Gentle Leader on him and he's doing great. He had food aggression issues for 1 day! He has learned sit, stay, down, wait, (as in his food in bowl right in front of him,) then I say get it. I can walk away and my boy will sit there til I give that command.

However, he will not stop peeing all over my house. It's not a medical issue; he's been checked. Its not that I don't take my boys outside. I have 5 dogs (all potty trained) and they are outside whenever they want. I am home with them all day and my animals are what I do! I walk him with each of his brothers every morning so that he can get accustomed to walking better with another dog. Their daddy walks them at night.

I am honestly at the end of my rope. I don't know what else I can do. I know how to potty train dogs, or so I thought. I am writing this because he is gone beyond just territorial marking or anything like that. He walked in the house today, came into the room where I was, lifted his leg and peed all over my foot. We've had him since Feb 15th. I refuse to give up on this little guy. What am I missing? Please help!

We have a female dog that has access to go out at any time, but she still goes potty in the house. She refuses to go poop in front of us. Our male is completely trained. But our female still goes inside. How do we stop her from going in the house.

My year old neutered male Shih Tzu comes to me after he pees and shows me where he actually went. He gets walks daily, has regular and multiple outside times to relieve himself that are for this purpose only, seperate from playtime outdoors. It is as though he has it "backwards", I am not sure how to reverse this behavior.

He will oftentimes go to the door or come look at me with that signal look, but daily there are the "other" times. He has access to me all day, in a studio apartment. There have been no changes in lifestyle to attribute this to. These indoor accidents are lessening, 2 a day now, no more at night. I have tried a tastier reward upon re-entering the house each time after a successful potty, to no avail.

Any ideas for house training my 2 year old pup?

I have a 8 year old Boxer. He's only been in my home for 2 years and I don't think that he was ever potty trained. He does great when I'm home, but I can leave him in the back yard for an hour, let him in and leave for 10 minutes and come home he will have peed and pooped all over the house. I tried using a crate and he took the door and the side panel clean off. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

We have had our terrier for 4 years. He was a rescue dog and we got him from the person who rescued him so he has been passed around a bit. After 4 years he should feel settled, yet he constantly poos and pees in the house. He has been to the vet and is fit. He poos on any scrap of carpet even though the door is open for him to go out. He poos on the carpet in front of the door, 2 more steps and he would be in the garden.

He gets let out or taken out several times a day, so there's no need for him to do it. If we put him in the garden he constantly barks to come in. We suppose he wants to be with us, but in the last couple of months he keeps running away and has been picked up by the pound. There's always someone indoors as we are retired and he has plenty of attention; so what can we do? I know he is jealous of the grandchildren, but he is always the same.

I am moving with my 15 year old dog, how do I potty train her?

My dog is 4 years old and has always used a newspaper lined litter inside the house. Now that we have a garden, we tried to retrain her to go outside. We even put the newspaper outside. She practically stopped eating and almost refuses to go outside when invited. Her behavior, otherwise, is normal. Any advice please.

Load More