House Training an Adult Dog

We adopted my three year old Lab over a year and a half ago. She has always peed in the house. We gave it time, took her to the vet to make sure that there isn't something medically wrong with her, and even tried calm me down meds. It isn't when we leave for work or anything, it's any time we pet her or touch her and it's through out our entire house. I really don't want to take her back to the shelter, but that's what it is coming to if I can't figure out what to do to make her stop. Even if we just let her outside and watch her go to the bathroom then pet her when she comes inside she still pees. We just put all new flooring throughout our house and my husband and I are both simply fed up. Can anyone help us?

I'm afraid you may have to try using pee-pee bands or diapers. I believe your dog may have been abused. She is "submissive peeing." It isn't really a behavior problem so much as an instinct.

You need to get to the point where you can touch her and it's going to be hard if you know she's going to soil the floor every time.

Good luck.

I had a small mixed breed dog that had been abused and pee every time he was patted. We changed how we responded giving belly rubs instead of on head it took a bit but we had a great 14 years worth all the work

There might be a dog training person or facility in your area who may be able to offer help. You can discuss your problem and what you want to achieve.

The dog trainer may be able to help with behavior modification training or may be able to suggest an alternative solution.