How Can I Keep Lizards Off of the Porch?

It's warming up in GA already, the lizards have started moving. I have a great fear of them, and they love my porches and my doorsteps. Does anyone have ideas to keep them off? I know, I know, they eat spiders, etc. I don't mind spiders as much, but rodents and reptiles, UGH! No, they probably won't hurt me, but they'll make me hurt myself. And no, I can't ignore them they run towards me instead of away from me! An outside cat is out. Is there something I can put out to keep them away? They can have the rest of the yard, just stay off my porches and doorsteps!

By Denise from middle GA

I don't know if it works for lizards, but it works for snakes, mice, rats, etc. Sulfur. Powdered. Obtain from a farm and ranch store. I haven't checked stores like Home Depot or Lowe's they may carry also. (Do internet search to locate in your area.) Sprinkle in a line around the area you want to "protect". It will have to be repeated after a rain. Also, in the meantime, please work on your fear :)

Lizards will not harm you. There aren't any poisionous ones in this country, that I know of, and they don't particularly bite anyway. They are just harmless. They probably like your porch because it is warm and smooth.

My mother lives on the water and has hundreds of lizards around her house and they come in the house mothballs keep them away as well as other pests away you have to continuously change the mothballs because the heat humidity rain etc. outside causes them melt so get the biggest container you can find and spread them out about 2 feet apart along your outside house wall on the ground .

If you find that they are coming in windows put them in the window sil . If you can stand the smell you can also put them inside glass sliding door tracks Ive watched ants turn around lizards roaches they dont like the smell but They are not pet friendly take care where you place them if you have pets that room around most pets wont go near them but just be aware

I keep a 13 gal. plastic trash can butted up against the steps and the house. They fall in and that's it. When they no longer are moving I throw them in the woods. Good Luck.

Anonymous

That's a good idea but not for me....i can't look at them so I definitely couldn't pick them up knowing they were in a bag

That's sounds cruel. Why do ubwaitvtil they stop moving in the garbage pail. Take them out immediately into the woods.

I have used moth balls in my yard and under my house for years to keep bugs and snakes away and I have not seen any lizards either, so maybe they work on them to. I also go around the line of my property and spread lime, snakes, I know, won't cross it, so that my work as well for you.

I have put moth balls where the come out of my columns on my porch and they walk past like its nothing. I also have them on the porch and in the yard. Doesn't Work for lizards..

Moth balls are carcinogenic ! Their compounds include paradichlorobenzene and naphthalene. Insects are not killed by contact with the moth balls but by simple inhalation of these two compounds. By putting moth balls under your house and in your yard you take the risk of over exposure to paradichlorobenzene and naphthalene. Over exposure to paradichlorobenzene and naphthalene by simple inhalation does not cause headaches only, but has been proved to cause defects at birth. Moths are dangerous for your sweaters, moths balls are dangerous for you.

This is not a personnal crusade, the following scientific autorities have been warning on the health effects of Paradichlorobenzene or naphthalen for years now:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Risk Assessment Information System (RAIS)
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS)
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
National Institutes of Health Report on Carcinogens
Office of Environmental Health Hazards Assessment, State of California
International Programme on Chemical Safety (INCHEM

I don't mind the lizards outside, we have plenty. I don't like them in our enclosed porch. They are eating my plants. I tried the moth balls; one by each plant.

It didn't bother them. They were on them again today. Any thing else I can use. I have to be careful, as I have birds and a little dog who goes out there.

central Fl gulf of mexico I have a siamise cat, I have enclosed screen porch, lizards and bugs sometimes get in will they harm the cat

Try lemongrass or mint in your garden. I use dried peppermint in and around the house to prevent ants....it is great for many bugs.

Did the dry mint work for your ants? Having ants come into my house but when I googled mint to deter ants from coming in as was recommended by a friend but everybody said it did not work for them.

I use mouse trap when they come on my screen-in lanai.