How to Keep a Toddler from Falling Out of Bed

Category Safety
To keep a toddler from falling out of bed you can start them on a mattress on the floor instead of up on a bed frame. A foam swim noodle can also serve as a border on the bed.

Are you in the stages of transitioning your toddler from crib to mattress? I recommend not buying a bed frame just yet and place the mattress on the floor temporarily. Allow your child to adjust to their mattress first. Since this mattress is only 10 inches and plush carpeted versus falling off from a bed frame, where you would have to spend more money for side rails.

Another tip that helped with my son (and now I'm doing with my daughter) is with this foam swim noodle. You can find one for just $1 at the Dollar Tree where I did, or a few dollars, depending where you purchase. Place underneath tight fitted bedsheets. This helps as a barrier for your toddler to not roll over.

If your child is a huge roller, you may want to place pillows or you can roll towels for a higher barrier.

Source: Personal experience

We transitioned our son to his "big boy" bed by having him sleep on a love seat with the cushions on the floor beside him. That way, if he rolled off, he wouldn't be hurt and more than once I found him asleep on the cushions. He hadn't even waked up.

This is a good idea if the child isn't too crazy. When my oldest transitioned out of a crib, we were able to purchase a twin size bed that had two levels.

The first was practically sitting on the floor so it was very safe. When he got older, we raised it up and he had lots of storage under the bed.