How to Make a Colorful Summer Bleached Greeting Card
Making your own greeting cards is an easy way to make someone feel very special when they receive it. Here is a lovely summertime bleached card that is sure to be loved.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I recently learned that thick bleach can be a wonderful addition to a crafter's treasure trove. At first, working with bleach is not as easy as it sounds, but with some practice it becomes a great technique to use on cards and other designs.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: one greeting card
- 10 x 5 in light yellow marbled cardstock
- A4 sheet white printer paper
- A5 size of orange paper
- 0.7 in high red wooden heart
- 0.6 in wide red satin ribbon with white polka dots
- 1 Tbsp thick bleach, added to a small jar
- wax crayons: red, green, blue, orange, and yellow
- quick-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
- stencil with a heart and flower motif
- standard scissors
- thin paintbrush
- newspaper to protect the working area
- Optional: four 5mm red multifaceted rhinestones; four 5mm blue multifaceted rhinestones
- Start by preparing the background paper. Heat small sections of the printer paper with the hairdryer and use the crayons to color the heated area. The heat of the hairdryer will make the crayons melt, so that will look as if you are painting with the crayons. Once completed, cut a piece sized 4.4" x 4.4" from the prepared background.
- Place the stencil on the orange paper and use the pencil to trace the motif on to the paper.
- Paint the motif with the thick bleach, taking care not to mess bleach on other parts of the paper, or to paint beyond the pencil lines. Remember to work in a well ventilated area when using the bleach. Once done, allow the bleach to dry, and then cut the paper with the motif to a size 3.6" x 3.6". Add optional extras to highlight certain parts of the design, such as a rhinestone to the centre of each flower.
- Score the 10" x 5" light yellow marbled cardstock to create a card sized 5" x 5".
- With the fold at the top, centre and glue the piece cut from the background to the front of the card. Next, glue the design done in bleach to the card.
- Glue the red wooden heart to the centre of the bleached heart.
- Make a bow with the ribbon and add it to the top left corner of the card.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.