How to Stain a Child's Play Set

Category Painting
After a couple years use, it may be prudent to retain your children play set. This is a guide about staining a child's play set.

I am refinishing a child's outdoor play set. What is the best stain or sealer to use? It's made of cedar.

Answers

Best Answer

Since its outdoor, get a waterproof one:

www.homedepot.com/.../204383653?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG...

It doesn't seem to matter which brand you use. Here are instructions on how to do it. www.easternjunglegym.com/.../

Since your play set is made of cedar, it doesn't really have to be stained but you may still prefer to stain it anyway.
Here is a very good site with lots of information:
www.ehow.com/info_12028153_seal-cedar-swing-set...
I'm not sure if carpenter bees are attracted to cedar but I know that I have had problems with these rascals making holes in other outdoor pieces/buildings. If you should encounter this problem, the best solution that I found (that works) is to use Diatomaceous Earth (or commonly called DE). Just use anything that you can use that will get it into their holes.

Here is a link to explain about DE - just in case you are not familiar with this product (I only buy food grade):

npic.orst.edu/.../degen.html