ArtCollectibles

Identifying Thrift Store Asian Paintings

We found these at a local thrift store and we are trying to find out what medium they are done in, approximately when they were painted, and possible value. Any help will do. We are including a close up of the signature stamp.

Thanks.

You will need a translator to identify the stamp. It might have been done on cork. I dont know when the work was done, but the artist was definitely Asian, and probably Chinese.

These are very interesting! Many Chinese and Japanese paintings were watercolors done on silks and you find them quite often in thrift stores as people downsize. Without being able to see and touch yours, I would not even want to guess what you have.

Both have been known to use red seals on their artwork as signatures. When I try to make yours bigger, it totally blurs out, but I am not sure I could even tell the difference in the language.

Do you have a high school or college nearby where they teach both languages? Perhaps they can ID the language and what it says.

Research is easiest when you have the stamp translated, so if you can get that done, perhaps I can help more. Or, if you want one stop shopping, I suggest finding a reputable art dealer in your town and have them look at it and see what you have and then they can value it for where you are located.

Art like this is very supply and demand based and if you have a large supply and low demand that drives the prices down.

Post back when you learn more! Thanks for sharing!

You will need to deconstruct the framing in order to tell what the artwork's medium is and whether it is a print or an original. I can tell it is under glass now and that would be unlikely for something made of silk, I think, so it is probably paper. And the red circular marking is a "chop" or seal, used in China.

In my opinion, it looks like a mass-produced watercolor print or lithograph, probably framed in the 80s or 90s as a decorator piece. If it were older than that, it probably wouldn't have the red double mat. And if it were an original piece, it probably would have some markings on the back to tell you more information. If it is an older piece that was framed more recently, it would often have a sticker with the framer's information on the back.

I would ask an antique store that specializes in artwork or Chinese items to get their advice.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

We plan to bring it to the frame shop that framed it. Its just finding the time to do this.

We will let you know what we find out. Thanks everyone! If anyone else wants to chime in, please feel free!

Cool! Looking forward to hearing more!! Blessings!!

Consumer Advice Collectibles ArtSeptember 8, 2019
🎂
🌻
📓