Illegal Craft Business?

March 21, 2022

How can I report an individual who has a crafting company out of their home without a vendor's license and is not paying taxes? She uses PayPal and debit to charge her customers so there is a pattern of her selling the crafts.



Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
March 21, 20220 found this helpful
Best Answer

Does this individual's work cause problems in your neighborhood?
If so, you can report suspicious or fraudulent activity to your local police and they will investigate.
As to a vendor's license, they may have one posted in their house that no one knows about as there can be legitimate 'home' businesses in a residential neighborhood. Of course, there are rules that have to be followed but home businesses can be legitimate.
You can always contact your city/county offices to report them for doing business without a license. The report has to be in writing but can be anonymous.

As far as reporting them for not claiming this income I guess the first question would have to be: how do you know this?
There are numerous ways to have knowledge of this so that does not have to be a problem but it would have to be addressed.


You can report someone anonymously but the IRS requires 'certain' information before they will investigate a report.

The IRS has forms that must be completed when someone files a report and, usually, it will take months/years before a claim is finalized.
The last IRS report that I read stated the IRS cannot investigate reports that involve small amounts of money because the expense to investigate any report is very high.
One IRS article stated a report should be of someone/a company that involves at least $200,000. These reports are usually done by what is commonly known as 'whistle blowers'.
Here is an IRS article that provides this type of information but you can also find other similar articles online.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 21, 20220 found this helpful

If this happens in the USA, there is a Form 3949-A (Information Referral PDF) to report tax fraud:

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
March 21, 20220 found this helpful

If she is not paying taxes, you could notify the IRS.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 140 Posts
March 21, 20220 found this helpful

This is a job for legal authorities (IRS) , that's all you can do legally, anything else may end up in some type of conflict.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question
Business and Legal Legal BusinessApril 13, 2022
Mother's Day Ideas!
Father's Day Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2023-04-21 07:09:48 in 3 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.