Ronnie (Raccoon)

contest winner icon

This is our son Curtis and his pet raccoon Ronnie on one of his visits home. Curtis found Ronnie three years ago, abandoned by his mother on the side of a busy country road. Ronnie was very tiny and his eyes were barely open. Curtis kept him in his bedroom in a cat cage, bottle fed him canned cat milk replacement for a few months, then slowly intoduced him to dry cat food and leftovers from our meals. Ronnie blossomed into a very affectionate, mature raccoon who loved to explore our house and get into mischief when given the chance.

When Ronnie was getting older and more independant, we made a safe stall for him in our horse barn to live in. We kept him there until he was 2 years old (last summer). Our family is against keeping wild animals in captivity, so with great trepidation the day came last summer to set him free. For three weeks, we fretted and worried about him, and then one evening he appeared on our deck for a visit and handouts. It's been a year now, and thankfully Ronnie has adapted well to the wild. We are always glad to see him when he drops by for regular visits every few weeks. One night he appeared with 2 raccoon buddies to share the handouts with lol.

The second photo was taken when Ronnie was about 4-5 months old. When he lived in our house, he loved to dig his little fingers into the soil in my potted plants. He also loved to climb into the bathtub after someone had a shower, to lick up the water drops. After setting him free, a few times in the late evening, Ronnie has climbed the cedar tree beside our house and scratched on Curtis' window to be let in for a visit. It amazed us how he knew where that window was. It sure made us realize that racoons are extremely intelligent animals. No wonder they can figure out how to open garbage can lids with their fingers. Easy peasy!

By Ann from Goulais River, Ontario

Wow... I once had two pet squirrels when I was a girl. He is simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

He is beautiful! What a beautiful story! Thank yo so much for caring enough for him and taking care of him when he was an orphan. He will always be yours in his heart, even if he is back in the wild...that is such a beautiful story!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thank you for sharing this lovely story. There used to be a mother raccoon who would bring her babies to visit every night as I sat on my porch. They would come within touching distance, but I never tried to touch them. I liked having some treats to give them so that I could watch them gobble it up. Seeing them was my treat. We also had a Mama skunk and her babies that would come now and then. The smell was amazingly mild.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I have a 2/3 year old male racoon that I got when he was a baby and really want to give him his freedom, but I don't know how. I also have a husky dog that don't get along with any other animals. Can someone please help me? I want him to be free like Ronnie.

Reply Like this photo? Yes