BusinessBusiness and Legal

Improving Business at a Local Pub

Category Business

I am looking for ideas for keeping my local pub busy and getting regulars more interested. I also would like to keep new customers there.

By E Gault

I'd think it might depend on where you pub is (country and/or region). Darts, karaoke, live music, billiards are the most popular in the States, for example, but other countries have other traditions. Lol, karaoke is becoming popular here in the UK but if you tried it at my local pub it would be a majour fail.

Here in my little corner of Scotland pub quizzes with small silly prizes are very popular; once a year the pub runs a special 'championship' night with prizes donated by local businesses. Brings in a lot of business for the pub over the year and the local businesses as there seems to be a sort of competition for the most impressive prize donation:)

Also popular here are the 'stovie nights'. Stovies are a one dish dinner with meat, potatoes, and veg (usually tinned corned beef, mashed potatoes, and peas). It's called a stovie because the entire meal can be made on the stove top. Down in England I think 'cottage pie' is the draw, it's made the same way but also has melted cheese on the top-make the stovie then top with grated cheese and melt under the stove grill. The reasonable price of admission includes a serving of stovie and a half pint of the house beer.

Another draw is 'open night' where everyone brings their instrument and it's a sing/play along. Our pub doesn't charge for admission on these nights (2-3 per week) but the pub is always crowded and they need extra barmen to cover the drinks requests. I'd say they do pretty good business on those nights. People love the bagpipes here but also accordion, hornpipe, acoustic guitar and violin. Sometimes there is room made for a bit of dancing too.

My area has several pubs-I live in a larger market town-and all of them have restaurant service from lunch time on, with lower prices on pub lunch than on pub supper.

Finally, at least one night a week is the designated 'quiet night'-low background music, snacks on the bar and tables, and a peaceful atmosphere. Bliss:)