Information on Living Wills and Advanced Directives

Category Wills
It is impossible to predict when you may be unable to make decisions for yourself. You may want to get in writing how you plan to be taken care of. This guide contains information on living wills and advanced directives.

Every adult (18 and older) should have a signed advance health directive so doctors know who to contact in case the person can no longer make their own health care decisions (coma or serious accident, etc.) One example that is available online is the "Five Wishes" form that is legal in 42 states in the US.

If you have assets or dependent children, you need a signed will. Please do not put off getting these legal documents in order.

Source: www.agingwithdignity.org

With living wills and such in the news, here is a great link for how you can plan for such circumstances for yourself and your family if you should be unable to make those decisions. We never know when a health condition or accident may make us unable to decide for ourselves whether or not we will be hooked up to machines to continue our lives.

I'm sure we all have our own feelings about the Terri Shiavo case and emotions are high about that right now. We're not looking for feedback on the politics or religious issues involved, just providing a link for more information.

Link: http://www.americanbar.org/groups/law_aging/resources/consumer_s_toolkit_for_health_care_advance_planning.html

I was thinking about the fate of the Florida woman. How does a person make his wishes legal except through a Lawyer? I have expressed to each of my children that I never wanted my life prolonged through life support for a long period of time. When God is ready, so am I. They all know this, yet is that legal enough without documentation?